News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New rider needs advice

Started by bdutro, July 08, 2008, 06:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

The backfire comes from the engine not spinning fast enough during cranking, you can get spark, the coils still fire.  the fact that your getting a backfire means your getting plenty of fuel, so no pinched fuel line. (or rather a fuel restriction isn't the problem)

i think it's time to drain the oil, pull the starter & see if it's full of oil....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bdutro

Right - o can do..
I have to work tonight so that part is gonna have to wait.
This method will be in the repair manual?

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Be cautious when checking spark. Always be certain the the second plug is either grounded as well , or still on the plug in the engine. if the ignition voltage pulse has no where to go it can damage the TCI.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

The only time I can consistently make my Vision "backfire" is when my battery is low.  It was happening wuite often last year and even though my battery showed 12.4 volts, it had a bad cell.  I replaced the battery and no more problem.
Also, check all your electrical connections to make sure they are not corroded.  You need that battery to be good and putting as much juice to the plugs to get a good strong spark to fire it up.  When you have that, starting her up is very easy.  While your'e at it, check your plug wires too.  If they are bad, cracked, or just plain old, they are not going to function up to spec.  I'm embarrased to ad mit, that they are the last thing I have left tp replace on my bike...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: YellowJacket! on July 20, 2008, 09:37:40 AM
...I'm embarrassed to admit, that they are the last thing I have left to replace on my bike...

>:( GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....David!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

Quote from: Tiger on July 20, 2008, 09:58:09 AM
...I'm embarrassed to admit, that they are the last thing I have left to replace on my bike...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

that and your BRAKE BAR BOLTS!!

Bad Boy, Bad! go sit in the corner!

;)

Tiger

:) Lucky, your gonna need to get a new apprentice... ::) ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on July 20, 2008, 10:15:23 AM
Quote from: Tiger on July 20, 2008, 09:58:09 AM

8).......TIGER....... 8)

that and your BRAKE BAR BOLTS!!

Bad Boy, Bad! go sit in the corner!

;)

Yup, Both sets are sitting on my desk waiting for BOTH of us, right in front of my nose.   ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

my tourer has been done & checked recently as well.  the set you have is for Cafe, which isn't street ready anyway.

bdutro

Mmk day light is fading and now i must come inside. News on mah baby.

Eve, I have named her, is not doing any better, but is not any worse for the wear, today I replaced the fuel line between the reserve/main valve. Check the wires and replaced the plugs. One of the filaments was 'missing' which was somewhat concerning.

She still won't start, and will barely turn over unless i connect it to my car. (The car is of, of course).

The battery aparently has little or no charge, so tomorrow I am going to try and find someone who will lend me a battery charger...

Should I try and cgarge the battery or should I just get a new one?

h2olawyer

Charge & test the battery.  A load tester is best & can probably be done at Auto Zone or other auto parts store like NAPA or Checker (Schucks / Kragen).  A small tester that checks each cell is a cheap & handy tool to have as well.  You use it by squeezing a bulb & sucking some of the acid into the tester.  Some models float small balls, others have a needle.  The ball type is most common.

If it tests OK, use it.  Otherwise, get a new one.  Remember, if you get a new battery that isn't pre-filled, you need to charge it properly, which means to use a slow / trickle charger & let it go overnight.  If you use a faster charge, it tends to decrease battery life.

You should keep your motorcycle battery on a battery tender if it will be sitting for any appreciable length of time.  I normally keep mine hooked up whenever I'm not riding it.  A Battery Tender Jr. runs about $30 and will keep your battery in good shape for years.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

You didn't mention the slow start when we talked today.

your starter has oil in it, you need to drain the oil, pull the starter, clean the oil out of it, change the seal & poss the brushes too..

--Lucky

Lucky

also, like i mentioned, add yourself to the map so we can see who's near you, there's no substitute for hands on experience, especially since you in tend this to be your main source of transportation...

bdutro

Yay! Found osmeone near me! Chivo1944!

bdutro

Welp, heres the beef. While charging my bike i was workin gon my car, having some nasty noises coming from it and come to find i have a bad wheel bearing. now i HAVE to get my bike fixed. When it rains it pours...     

Tiger

:) Walmart....... Battery= $30.00 USD...Float charger= $20.00 USD...Peace of mind, priceless 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

bdutro

Well, charged the battery, she is turning over MUCH better now, but still not starting...

bdutro

Can anyone tell me whats behind the coils that may be causing not spark?

Lucky

first thought is fuses.  if you have the original glass fuse holder, it needs to be replaced with modern blade fuses.  the metal tabs that hold the glass fuses in break off more often than not.