News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New rider needs advice

Started by bdutro, July 08, 2008, 06:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Quote from: bdutro on July 21, 2008, 11:14:31 PM
Can anyone tell me whats behind the coils that may be causing not spark?

Maybe a lack of electricity?   ;)  Sorry, couldn't resist.

If you are sure there is no spark, the fuses are the first place to check, followed by plugs & wires - which should be done anyway - they're cheap & at least you know they're good.  If those fixes don't cure it, then it's TCI or coils.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

bdutro

Upon further inspection tonight i discovered that my spark is intermitent at best. I tested each wire again and only got spark against the frame about 25% of the time. I tested from the coils, and again, only got spark about 25% on both coils. Leads me to believe its something behind them. The original glass fuse holder has been replaced with a newer glass fuse holder.

I talked ot the previous owner today, and he said during his 'busy' schedule that it may have something to do with a short in the casing on the left side of the bike. Which casing, he did not say as 'he didnt have time' and i needed to 'take it to a shop' And he promptly gave me his brother's shop number.

Any idea which casing he might be talking about? ooooorrrrrr anything electircal that might cause no spark? i ALSo found a tube that might have been detatched, it led no where and came fromt he left side of the carbs.. overflow maybe?

Edited for the word 'testes' to 'tested' Lol @ lucky's wife for the padcock comments :P

Lucky

it's not what you think, we were talking on the phone about the petcock, & my wife couldn't stop lauging!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

The short on the left side could be the battery to ground connection.  Follow the negative cable to a bolt on the engine.  Remove said bolt & clean everything - the cable end & the engine in that area.  Reassemble.  The bolt is pretty long.

As for the detached tube - what color is it?  Clear (yellowed) is the carb vent - one attaches to each carb at the rear of the choke (enrichment) plungers - meaning there are two of them.  They exit behind the engine, under the frame.  There's a hole for them.  A clear or black tube may be the battery vent.  Attaches to a small fitting on the battery near the negative post.  It points down.  If it is a maintenance-free battery, this fitting is not present.  It also exits in the same area as the carb vents.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

i'm thinking a short on the left could be a pick-up coil wire rubbed thru...  would explane the intermitant firing.

also, if it's not cranking fast enough, the coils may not be building a charge..

EDIT:
hose on the left off the white (yelow by now) plastic fittings are the carb overflow drain hoses.  they end down by the center stand.

Walt_M.

How long since the plug wires and plug caps were inspected or replaced?
Whale oil beef hooked!

kwells

I had something similar on my project bike.  Turned out to be the plugs....put new ones in if you haven't done so.  The pickup coils also could be your problem.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Quote from: kwells on July 22, 2008, 09:35:44 AM
I had something similar on my project bike.  Turned out to be the plugs....put new ones in if you haven't done so.  The pickup coils also could be your problem.

I remember that, it was bizzare.
In fact i think my first vision was doing the same thing, needed plugs :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Paul Mc

I've only looked at the last few posts on this thread - intermittant spark is usually down to HT leads shorting out on cylinder heads/other areas/duff HT leads - I'd replace those first.
P
Candygram for Mongo

bdutro

Plugs are brand new, wires are kind of old... but i tested the spark straight out of the coils with little or no spark...

And it figures, the guy i would have work on it is on vacation till the 28th.... i need to get my bike running sooner than that, my car is on its last leg...

So i need to check the electricity flow between the battery and the coils... I did charge the battery, and its turning over nice and quick, what about replacing it with a new one... would that help?

My neighbor charged it for me, and he said he was suprised it was even functional it was so low...

Other ideas are welcomed, Im all out of them...

Brian Moffet

Have you measured the resistance of the coils to make sure they're okay?  I don't happen to remember what they should be, but it's worth a check.

Brian

bdutro

bdutro

Mmmk, as per the repair manual, i checked the resistance on the starter relay and it came to 3.8

The manual says it shoudlnt read more than 3.5. Gremlin anyone? Could this be causing weak spark?

bdutro

Coils are measuring at 3.0 ohms as well...

Lucky

I'd say your readings are nominal, but i would open that relay & spray it out with electronics cleaner..

Rick G

Unwind the plug caps ccw and remove them , then cut 3/8 of an inch of the plug wire off and re assemble . I also remove the  the resistors on old bikes and substitute a piece of 1/8 inch brass rod, as this will give a bit better spark .
In the end you should get new plug wires ( NOT the carbon core wire used in cars , but the wire core used in lawn mowers) and caps .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

What are the tricks to atarting a cold bike?I left my bike for 10 hours when I went to work and it wouldn't start when I came home.I almost took it to work but was scared of this so I thought I would test it when I came home.I'm glad I didn't take it to work because it looks like I would be walking home.It starts great when it is warm.

YellowJacket!

First, Take your gas cap off for a minute.  Sometimes the vent is clogged and the tank can't breathe.

My normal starting procedure is 1/2 choke, twist the throttle 3 to 4 times then hit the start button.  Starts right up.  If the bike is warm, I omit the choke step and usually just twist the throttle twice.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 08, 2008, 10:47:43 AM
My normal starting procedure is 1/2 choke, twist the throttle 3 to 4 times then hit the start button.  Starts right up.  If the bike is warm, I omit the choke step and usually just twist the throttle twice.

This is very similar to mine, except that I leave the choke off until the bike catches, and then put it on.  Usually starts within a second or two.

Brian

kev10104

I appreciate that.When the bike is warm it starts right up.Probably getting the carbs cleaned wouldn't be a bad idea either.