News:

Main Menu

Just curious here

Started by GT @ oh., July 09, 2008, 07:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

Which bolt has been breaking on rear brake bar? ....and is it easy to get replacements at store? ....easier at hardware or automotive stores?

h2olawyer

I've heard of both bolts breaking - though not on the same bike or at the same time.

Tiger & others know the correct size & yes, they are readily available at hardware stores.  They don't use the OEM type.  Some prefer to use a castleated nut, others like the nylock nut solution.  You could also drill the bolt & install a cotter pin to approximate OEM.  When I do mine this year (new tires = new bolts) I'll be using stainless bolts with stainless nylock nuts.  Then, all I'll need to replace every time I take the bolt off is the nylock nut.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

jasonm.

TEST: put bike on center stand. Spin rear wheel...fast. If you press your brake lever and you can generate a "click or clunk". Can you dampen the click by holding the brake torque arm? If yes,You have a high potential for breakage. This slight "slop" weakens the bolts. Change them. These are step bolts. The threaded area for the nut is 8mm but the actual hole is 10mm..i.e. stepped bolt. So just getting an 8mm is not the exact fix.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

GT @ oh.

I will be replacing for sure...I'll look for these step bolts tommorow.....I'll drill and cotter pin...as factory I suppose....Thanks for the info guys appreciate it

h2olawyer

There may be some modifications if you go with non-stock bolts.  I also remember something about using a bushing, depending on the "fix" used.  I still may stay with the stock units, depending on how fast my dealer can get them here.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

If you get a couple of 8mm dowel pins from your Yamaha stealer, the 8mm bolt will just slide in to it  and create a stepped bolt . This hollow dowel pin is used in the vision engine,so if you have access to a junk vision you should be able to get some there.
I did mine 4 years ago and is still solid.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

grade 8 bolt and blue loctite :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

macroars

Quote from: inanecathode on July 10, 2008, 03:42:46 AM

Any reason for not using Nylock nut? (the one with nylon locking ring embedded in then nut)
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

Tiger

Quote from: macroars on July 10, 2008, 04:15:57 AM
Quote from: inanecathode on July 10, 2008, 03:42:46 AM

Any reason for not using Nylock nut? (the one with nylon locking ring embedded in then nut)

8) Its what I use... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

GT @ oh.

Well apparently only the stealer is gonna have these "shoulder" bolts and mine wants $4.29 each ....and I asked before about the rear brake pads ...but I'll ask again....is the stealer the only place I'm gonna get those? Might as well do those as long as the rear rim has to come off to get to the rear brake bar bolt.

inanecathode

No such thing as a grade 8 nyloc nut :)
Plus i trust loctite better than canadian nylon :)

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on July 10, 2008, 12:55:06 PM
Plus i trust loctite better than Chinese nylon :)

??? Then don't buy off shore shite fastener's!!! and check were your thread locking chemical was manufactured... :o

All of the fasteners that we sell across North America, Standard or Metric, are on shore...Approx' 96% are Canadian made and shipped down to our main warehouse in Cleveland, Ohio. The other 4% ('ish) coming from an American source 8)

If you don't trust Nylon insert lock nuts, recommended for grade 8 fasteners, you can always use All Steel Locknuts...which have a positive multiple locking surface, to resist vibration and are also recommended for grade 8 fasteners.

Not all offshore products are crap, just like not all onshore are great, however, please ask your supplier for North American fasteners for added peace of mind, (and safe guard North American jobs!!!).

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: inanecathode on July 10, 2008, 12:55:06 PM
No such thing as a grade 8 nyloc nut :)
Plus i trust loctite better than canadian nylon :)

Figzst :P

motorcyclezen

GT,

I got mine from the stealer. Yup, about $4.29 per. Just make sure that when you order them (if you still intend to do this) get a front and a rear. They are different sized shanks/shoulders.

I replaced mine: bolts, cotter pins, brakes and tires (tyres for those north of the border) all at the same time.

Ed--

GT @ oh.

Yep I bit the bullet and ordered both.... and I guess I'll have to get the rear brakes as well....almost $40.00 for those.

h2olawyer

Rear brake shoes are available aftermarket as well.  doesn't really matter what you get for those as any of them are more than capable of locking up the rear wheel.  Dennis Kirk probably has the best selection.

H2O

GT @ oh.

Ok I'll check with them or dgy and see Thanks

Rick G

Quote from: GT @ oh. on July 10, 2008, 12:22:58 PM
Well apparently only the stealer is gonna have these "shoulder" bolts and mine wants $4.29 each ....and I asked before about the rear brake pads ...but I'll ask again....is the stealer the only place I'm gonna get those? Might as well do those as long as the rear rim has to come off to get to the rear brake bar bolt.
Thats why I use the dowel pin to give a shoulder to a standard bolt . besides Yamaha standard hardware is crap!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike