Ah, don't you love the weather service

Started by don_vanecek, July 16, 2008, 10:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

So Friday a big cold front is suppose to come, showers and thunderstorms to hit my area late evening, since that was a double job day for me (and I would not be getting off work till 11:30 pm) I drove the cage, guess what, perfectly dry on my way home.

Tuesday forecast is just for a hot and dry day, nothing is suppose to happen other then that my drive home at five (single job day) would be hot.

Head home, almost scary bolts of lightening in the area, dark sky in the north, after going about two miles (only having a few sprinkles) I pull into the golf course parking lot and take out my rain suit, the sky in the north did not look friendly. Well thank goodness I did that (and that I almost always have the suit with me) I hardly left the parking lot and ran into a sheet of water.  By the time I reached my turn off the highway the road was a sheet of water from the heavy rain, frankly it was getting a bit scary.  My last mile or so is both up a hill and I'm now on a side road with no traffic to have to worry about, made it home, shoes are soaked (I need to get some coveralls for the shoes) gloves are soaked, but otherwise I'm perfectly dry.  My new Avon's seemed to have performed well in the rain.  By later in the evening rain gauge is up to 1 1/2 inches and the rain wasn't quite done yet, will be great for the garden.

Oh, we love the ability of the weather service to predict our weather! 

h2olawyer

And it's supposed to be easier to predict weather out there in the flatlands!   ::)

Rain gear is always nice to carry.  Glad the Avons are working well.  If you decide to get some actual motorcycle boots, look for some touring models with gore-tex built into them.  Your feet will stay dry & the gore-tex lets them breathe.  If you opt for overboots, you will stay dry from the rain & splash, but the lack of breathability may cause your feet to get damp from the sweat.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

I once drove by the NWS building in Morristown TN.  Lots of antennas, lots of Radars, but not a single window!  With all the technology, the simplest act of looking out the window can tell you a whole lot about what the weather is going to do.  Wonder how many weathermen...sorry weather people...do that these days?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

lol  weather here is easy to predict,,, open door,  walk out ,, if you get wet, is going to rain,, if you stay dry, is a bike day ,, if feet stick to mat outside of door, too cold to ride .

that isnt being a smart a@*  just more reliable than weatherman .   beaches have been closed to all activity 4 times in last two weeks due to ground strike lightning--- comes down, hits beach and runs 2 to 300 yards up the beach- then just disappears in loud pop ,,, wonder where it actually goes?   

girl tourist went down by fishing pier,,, had most of skin on one foot shredded by "possible shark" --- something isnt right-- she was in less than 2 feet of water, near a fishing pier, where people are known to chum the water for hours as they fish, and she MAY have been bitten by a shark as she played in the surf ????   

ohio native lands bull shark at 2nd ave pier !   paper reported a fellow hooking and landing a 3 ft bull shark ,at same pier that girl was "possibly bitten by a shark " at the day before. area shark researchers say this is normal for this time of year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i still dont understand the paper's stories here,,, half a foot gone, and it may have been a shark-- anyone know of anything else in 2 ft of water that can take a foot off?   nothing in salt water but a shark .  looks like bite marks, broken teeth in wound ,, amount of damage done in seconds,,,, should pretty much say shark to any reporter!

add in fact a fellow pulled one out of water next day  also points to shark .....   bu tthey still wont say it was a shark---- not family beach friendly news!!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

It wasn't a shark...

I bit her!  It was ME!

Tourist!  YUM!!!
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Even looking out the window here won't get you accurate weather information, We get ferocious storm's that dump a ton of water in min. and flood the roads (and washes) how ever they usually move around in a large circle , due to the mountains . Some times you get rain ,sometimes you get lightning  and sometimes you get to watch! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Nightime red, morning gray sets a biker on his way.  Nightime gray, morning red keeps a biker in his cage...or is it the other way around?  Not enough caffine yet...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

67GTO

My dad (who was in the navy) would say "Red sky at night-sailor's delight. Red sky in the morning-
sailor take warning"

So I think your right
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV