News:

Main Menu

Wet weather eh!!!

Started by Tiger, July 20, 2008, 09:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Took a ride out with the wife on "The Mistress" Saturday around 5 p.m...just a wee buzzzzz around the local, great ridin' roads we have here. On the return home, about 10 miles from out, at approx' 8 p.m. the heavens opened...and I mean opened!!! I was wearing my mesh gear, jacket/pants and glove's...now I know how a tea bag feels ::) We didn't have time to stop and don the wet weather gear, it was like hitting a wall of rain :o :o By the time we got home and rode into the garage we were both completely soaked through!! We stood there like a pair of drowned rats!!! Couldn't help but have a good laugh at each other ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D Striped off and hung the gear up in the garage to drip dry and went in for a shower... ::)

This morning most of the gear is still damp, so transferred it all to the furnace room to dry out fully...and it is STILL raining!!!

Guess we could always join the ducks for a swim ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Send some of that rain out here!  We're in the 4th driest year since records began in the 1880s.  It was a long, cool spring, but now even that has ended.  Supposed to be 100 degrees today here, yet "only" 99 in Phoenix!  I hate the heat.   :P

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

Let's see.......you and the wife strip in the garage........take a shower..........so what else did you do? ;D
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Tiger

Quote from: 67GTO on July 20, 2008, 12:47:47 PM
Let's see.......you and the wife strip in the garage........take a shower..........so what else did you do? ;D

A gentleman will never kiss and tell :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... :-X

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Some of the rain thats been pounding Phoenix has finally wandered up here .It was raining when I woke up this AM and rained until about an hour ago, (its 4:15 now). I don't carry a rain suit anymore as you can see storms 25 or more miles away, or more and usually out run them, besides it doesn't rain that much anyway.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Quote from: Tiger on July 20, 2008, 01:13:53 PM
Quote from: 67GTO on July 20, 2008, 12:47:47 PM

A gentleman will never kiss and tell :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... :-X

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Bow chickawowow
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

Quote from: Tiger on July 20, 2008, 09:38:22 AM
...the heavens opened...and I mean opened!!! I was wearing my mesh gear, jacket/pants and glove's...now I know how a tea bag feels ::) We didn't have time to stop and don the wet weather gear, it was like hitting a wall of rain...

Sounds like the spot in the mountains kwells & I hit shortly before I moved (if Im rememberin' correctly).  Go around a corner and it's just a sheet.  Nowhere to pull over (assuming either of us had rainsuits, mine was on the way to Cali already).  I wound up getting rained on at least eight different times that day. :P

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Lucky

I've said it before, ride when it's expected to rain occasionally, so the bikes wet handling isn't a surprise.  remember new tires handle rain differently as well too.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Until my tires get here (supposed to be delivered by FedEx on Saturday) I am avoiding wet riding.  A slick on the rear is not a good idea for wet rides.  I like rain rides - provided I have tires to handle it.

That hasn't been a problem so far, though.  It's been real dry here all Summer.  I've hit a couple small storms, but nothing serious & those happened when I still had some tread left.

The issue here now is the heat.  After a longer, cooler Spring than we've had in a number of years, it seems the temps went right up to the 90s & have stayed there.  We had a cool day in early July, but otherwise, it's just been plain HOT.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ps2/bikevision

the first trip i took to michigan this year it rained on me. it was only 60F out when i left and had to ride about 30 miles in a down pour. it was actually fun other than the cold i started singing to myself and bopin to my own music trying to keep myself in a good mood. i just kept thinking how lucky i was to be riding. even yelled at a couple of cages that went by they couldnt here me but i was yellin "look at you fools in your dry warm cages, you have no idea how free it is to ride in the rain, suckers, you just got no clue" i think maybe i started to loose my mind a little. it was like back in highschool football. pump yourself up and its all mind over matter. the heated grips came in handy. kept my hands dry and warm. ended up stopping at my grandparents and throwing everything i had on in the dryer. i was pretty cold but had a smile from ear to ear. pumping myself up actually worked. dont think i would of made it much farther though. my joints were starting to stiffin up. from the cold.

Night Vision

when Joe Vacc and I came back from Tiger's this spring.... it rained quite well  ::)

the truckers kept laughing at us at the rest areas...  >:(

until I reminded them they were working....

... and were we weren't  ;D

a "bad" day riding in the rain is way better than a good day at work  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

In April of '04 I rode from Stayton OR. to Port Townsend  WA.  About 30 miles out it started to rain . I had brought my rain suit , but the pants are a night mare to put on , if you don't have a chair to sit in while you struggle, so I shined them on, BIG mistake . 
After Vancouver WA.  the rain really came down . The cars were leaving a bow wake about 10 feet high, and I rode along the side of the road  , hoping not to get hit by  "BOAT" .
I finally stopped on 101  north of Olympia , at a restaurant  to fill up on clam chowder and hot coffee. At that point I belatedly put on my insulated pants , which are fairly waterproof.
I did 300 miles in 6 .5 hours in terrible conditions . Excuse me if I'm a little proud.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kenny

Last year when I Visioned out to the west coast I was gone 15 days & had rain for 13 of them,Man the Aerostich suit got a good work out & I stayed Dry!
    But what you going to do ya can't sit out your Vacation it might be dry somewhere! ;)
       I hear it rained like hell here today (Wooler) but I missed it I was down to Belize for the day & the Sun was out at the Airport.
                        :D Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92