News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Im so sick I could puke! YJ damaged bad. (Great News today)

Started by YellowJacket!, July 21, 2008, 08:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Even insurance varies from state to state.  Some require you to hire your own attorney - but the insurance company will be "joined" as a party to the case.  Once you & your attorney collect, the funds then come from one or more of the insurance companies that are party to the suit.  Brian's explanation is generally valid in most  states with "no - fault" insurance systems.  In most of those states, the insurance company will hire the lawyer (or use one of their in house attorneys) and take on the opposition.  In states without "no - fault" systems, the hiring of the attorney is up to the insured.

Colorado recently dropped the "no - fault" system because of the much higher cost spread to all insured.  After the system changed, my truck insurance dropped from $250 every 6 months to $210.  Since I've not had any claims beyond windshields for over 20 years, the savings over time for me would have been (and will be) substantial.  The only problem is that it's more of a hassle to collect in the event of an accident.  You will eventually collect - if you're the one wronged, but it is up to the insured party to find the lawyer.  $80 a year for a 'convenience' many never use is a waste of money - in my opinion.

Most property insurance (like what the hospital would most likely be using in this case) works like the auto insurance without the 'no - fault' provisions.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Dave, just as a heads up...When you contact your insurance company to request advice about an accident/incident, it is logged into the system...even if you do not persue it!!!

It is one of the reasons that I stay with my insurance agent...I can get advice without it going into the system... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

zore

I'll put this all in perspective for you.  I parked my sprint st, under the paved parking deck at the place i work.  The patch of pavement I put the kickstand on had a touch of sand on it.  Under that sand was a patch for a pot hole.  However it was just tar like material that dries like plastic and breaks apart like glass.  The kickstand went thru and the bike fell over.  2100 in damage of which I had to pay 500.  My insurance company said they would try to get the 500 back thru my works insurance company.  That failed.  And not to ruffle any feathers to the point that they no longer allowed bikes to park there, I left it be since I have heard of a past employer doing that. 

I know it sucks, but I'd not push the issue too hard because it could back fire.  This is just my 2 cents coming from a similar situation.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

Yeah,  Vicki and I talked it over and its not worth risking my job over.  But, I will probably disobey parking regs and park in the paved lot. probably the doctors lot and just find one to get "permission" from.  Theres a lot of docs that have spaces in the plaza garage next door and lot spaces in the outside lot as well that they dont use.  May shoot for one of those.

David

zore

That sounds like a plan.  I personally have 6 by 18 inch piece of ply wood i keep on the driveway.  Something like that might work for you.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Shop Rat

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 22, 2008, 05:07:45 PM
When it's in soft gravel?  Probably not very...  Other than that, a wind of around 120 or so will probably  *lift* the bike and hover it...  I think I read someplace that the terminal velocity of most motorcycles is around 120...

Brian
My kid's 650 was blown over off the centerstand while parked on pavement, but it had a cover on it that caught the wind. I don't think the gusts that day were over 35-40.

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on July 31, 2008, 07:38:53 PM
That sounds like a plan.  I personally have 6 by 18 inch piece of ply wood i keep on the driveway.  Something like that might work for you.

I thought of that and figured someone would get there before me every day and use my piece of wood.  In any event, when I park on the tar lot I have a 2 x 4" carbon fiber pad to put under my sidestand.  It still wasn't enough to hold it up on the gravel though.  Sunk right in when it was dry.

A bunch of us have been talking about 12 x 12 concrete pavers though and may get together one weekend and set out a few of them.

David

Lucky

remember what i said, if you park with the side stand on a paver, & the tires sink in, you'll be going over the whole thing all over again on the other side, & the hospital & insurance co won't help you since it's your idea...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

Set pavers for the tires, too.  That should take care of the tire sink problem at the same time.  Those pavers aren't too expensive when you're only buying a few of them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

bmac68

I would think a 12x12 would be large enough for the centerstand.  wouldn't it?

kiawrench

dave,,, i just park where i want,, but then,,,, if it isnt paved here,, someone is planting on it ,,, so gravel isnt an issue

the pavers are a good idea, get with parking supervisor,, advise him/her that you want to set pavers for motorcycles, - but be ready for issue of how many, how far apart, etc. etc.   that route can get high dollar quck
the idea of getting permission to park in dr lot is good one,,, always extra spaces there anyway,, maybe can trade value of your loss for extended permission to park ? 
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Spoke with the director of security today.  At the moment, pavers aren't an option because the 1500 people who drive cars and have to park on gravel are gonna get PO'd because the bikers are "special".  So, he told me that I can park in the reserved lot and if I get a ticket to give it to him and he will take care of it.  ;D  He's a biker.  ;D

David

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 01, 2008, 08:09:14 PM
the 1500 people who drive cars and have to park on gravel are gonna get PO'd because the bikers are "special".

Uh, they are special...  I don't get the problem...

in other words, his excuse is a cop-out... but if he's willing to pay for the ticket, that does mitigate the problem somewhat.  My thinking is that the parking lot is not adequate for motorcycles, and since they require you to park there, they need to make the parking lot adequate, or provide one that is.

Brian

YellowJacket!

The tickets dont carry a chash fine but they do carry a stern reprimand.  The first ticket gets you a warning.  he second ticket gets you a written warning on your record and the third gets a reprimand for your supervisor that goes on THEIR record.  Thats usually enough to get you in trouble.
He's more or less making a friendly concession to me.
My argument with administration is the point about the lot not being adequate of bikes.  I'm gonna take a picture tomorrow of where my bike fell....I was actually looking at it today to try to find my fork tube drain plug cover that fell out.  There is an imprint whare my bike layed.  :o  You can still see the full outline of the kick lever from my sidestand where it sunk and you can still see my treadmarks in the dried goo where it sunk down to both my tires.  Of course, now its all like solid concrete.

David

Lucky

sounds like the elimination of trees, brush, grass, & the addition of gravel is adequate for CAGES, thus they made a special consession to keep the owners of CAGES happy (at a minimum)...

Dave knows the back lot at my work is also gravel, & of the 15 or so people who are employed at my work, I'm the only one who rides.  the covered lumber storage is a large concrete pad & is where i park, no one else is allowed to.  my boss, who's never even sat on a bike, has never said a word to me about parking there, it is obvious to him that parking on gravel is not 'adequate' for a bike...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Regular folk dont get motorcycles, dont expect them to accommodate you would be the only advice i could give :-\
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Well, I had been getting a little impatient due to the lack of response from administration about my bike lately but today I ran into one of the administrators whow is dealing with the issue.  She told me that she was very sorry about what happened and that the hospital is going to compensate me for any damages up to the ampunt of my deductible that the insrance did not pay for.

I told her that since I needed to ride the bike and did not have the money to fix the fairing that I did most of the work myself to get it roadworthy and ride again (rode to work today to).  She told me the CFO would be getting in touch with me about the windscreen and other issues soon and that they were going to create a designated lot for motorcycles too!  Yay...big victory.  ;D

David

vadasz1

Hey Dave, you seem so happy now I bet you even thought of kissing her didn't ya. ;D :o ;D
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Quote from: vadasz1 on August 18, 2008, 12:38:33 PM
Hey Dave, you seem so happy now I bet you even thought of kissing her didn't ya. ;D :o ;D

um, that would be a negative....  :o

David