Im so sick I could puke! YJ damaged bad. (Great News today)

Started by YellowJacket!, July 21, 2008, 08:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shop Rat

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 19, 2008, 09:04:12 AM
Quote from: vadasz1 on August 18, 2008, 12:38:33 PM
Hey Dave, you seem so happy now I bet you even thought of kissing her didn't ya. ;D :o ;D

um, that would be a negative....  :o

David

Wow, a company that acts responsibly!  Rare today.  They should name the new MC parking area the "Yellow Jacket Lot".

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

h2olawyer

You gotta remember this is a health care company.  They don't seem to care that heavily about many of the expenses.  (Until an employee wants something.)  I was at the emergency room of our local hospital yesterday & the air conditioning was keeping the waiting room at a nice, comfortable 65 degrees.  Plus, the heat registers were pouring out the heat.  Nice energy conservation, huh?  I mentioned it to the staff & they just shrugged it off and said it was normal - had been like that for years.

Then, when Dad was in the hospital a few years ago, I noticed the bottled water they served to patients was from Phoenix!  Makes tons of sense to send in bottled water from the desert (which began its journey in Colorado) to a hospital in a city with what has been termed some of the best quality water in the country.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Like most big buildings , the hospital has a dual deck system. Air flow (temperature) is controlled by motorised dampers. both hot and cold are available at all times. More than likely the problem is a burned out damper motor , or a stuck damper. Any competent commercial HVAC tech could take care of it. The hospital maintenance personnel should be able to as well.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Thats how our system is.  You can have either hot warm or cold year round.  It all depends on the dampers.  Our mainteneace dpt takes care of problems like that but its up to someone to actuallly take the initiative to report it.  Funny thing is, the more people gripe about it, the less likely it is to be reported.  A lot of workers assume "its someone elses responsibility".

We have a problem like that woth our mobile computers.  We have lots of alcoves in our halls with laptops on wheels.  If one doesn't work, whoever is using it usuallu goes on to the next one without calling the helpdesk.  After a few times of that, you have a hall with 8 computers that don't work and people griping about how useless the help desk is.  Turns out, nobody ever called them in.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Big news today.  Some kids stole a truck and went on a  demolition derby in the parking lot.  Apparently 8 cars and trucks, not including the one they stole, were severely damaged but many more were hit during the melee.
My bike was parked in the newly "designated" lot for bikes.

David

Brian Moffet

Hmm, I think some peoples insurance companies are going to do some investigating...

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on August 20, 2008, 05:38:45 PM
Hmm, I think some peoples insurance companies are going to do some investigating...

The lots have several security cameras sand apparently caught the whole thing on video.  By the time the security dept (all off duty Sherrif's deputy's) and the Sherrifs dpt arrived the punks had left the car and ran into the woods.

David

YellowJacket!

Well, after a couple months of riding YJ naked, the fairing is done.  It was a heck of a project but all turned out well.  Painting was the most difficult part.  I had sprayed it out in the garage and brought it inside my basement thinking that the cooler temps would help it dry more evenly but it ended up looking like alligator skin.  Apparently paintin outside where its warm and bringing it inside where its cool and dry has a bad effect on paint.
So, I sanded it down again, primed it and repainted and left it outside to dry and it worked.  It has about 8 coats of Rustoleum "Premium" Enamel on it and looks pretty good.  Gonna let it cure for a bit then give it a coat of wax.

The windscreen is a bit of a disappointment.  I ordered the "dark smoke" and it looks like they sent the medium smoke.  It looks several shades lighter than the original on I had bought.  I was also going to use the original as a template for drilling the holes in the new one but the shape, size and curvature was pretty different between the two.  The original fit much better.  In any event, I used some clamps to clamp it to the fairing and marked the holes with a soldering gun with a needle point - something Gustaffsen recomends.  I unclamped the screen then drilled the holes with a bit that was just a notch smaller than the screws.  Then used a grinding bit to enlarge the holes and remove the burrs.  Everything fit perfectly.....whew!
Had to work a little with the headlight cover and use some adhesive to get it back on.  The rubber retaining gasket has some tabs the have V shaped locking points on them which fit through some holes in the fairing around the headlight.  Those of you who have Sharks/Sport fairings know what I'm talking about.  Anyway, some of them broke off so I had to use some adhesive to get the cover to stay on. New gaskets are unobtainium.

Took YJ out for a ride and of course, it feels much better riding with a fairing on. Also gives YellowJacket that distinctive "Bee" look.  ;D

Next project on the table is the saddle bags.  I have one of the brakets painted and it looks brand new.  The other needs to be sanded and painted.  However, looks like I may have to do a little work on two of the mounting tabs to have them moved to line up with the grab handles.  They sit about 2" behind the handles.  Will also need to figure out a way to get the bags onto the brackets - either that or find a left side 83 Virago bag.

David

h2olawyer

Glad to hear you're no longer riding naked!   ;D  Sounds like things are coming back together & the improvements are progressing.  Cogitate a bit on the bag mounts & I'll bet you come up with a viable solution.  I'm looking forward to getting Tractor back on the road - with the (still to be restored) Shark fairing I recently won on eBay.  I kind of miss that setup from the first 20 years on Silver V.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.