News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Just getting it going after a long time

Started by wboeck, July 21, 2008, 09:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wboeck

I have an 82 Vision that has been sitting in the garage for years. It is in real good shape besides the Carbs being gummed up and a dirty tank. I have decided to start cleaning the carbs and tank. I first have to get a new key since I lost the original. I am thinking about getting a carb kit. However, it appears that I may need two? I have seen the Keyster Kits listed on Ebay for $69 each. That seems somewhat expensive.
This is a fun project but parts are hard to find.

Lucky

prices are lower on their site: www.siriusconinc.com

after sitting all that time, suspect pinhole leaks in the lower corners of the tank, & oil in the starter as well.

ask anything you need, we're here to help.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

wboeck

Lucky,
thanks for the advice. I just got the replacement keys and they do not turn the ignition very much and they do not work the seat or the gas cap. How far should the key turn in the ignition? I figure at least 90 degrees? I am afraid that the locksmith did not accomplish his task.

Wayne

wboeck

Lucky,
what is the best way to handle the pinholes and oil in the starter?

thanks,
Wayne

Rick G

Wayne , you will need to disassemble the starter and probably it will need new brushes , it will certainly need the nose o ring and shaft seal.
The tank will need to have the pinhole area sanded down to bare metal and a repair made using something like JB weld, then  a "Por 15 kit "applied .
First how ever you should get a hold of Lucky and order his CD . it has all the information you will need and more!
Rick
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

that about covers it.  these procedures are nothing new, ALL of us have done it, practicly every Vision needs these things done plus the starter clutch..

--Lucky

wboeck

I will get Lucky's CD. However, I need to get the ignition turning. How far does the key need to turn? The keys that the locksmith made turn the ignition switch may 10 degrees. I figured it needs to turn at least 90 degrees or more? Also, it does not open my gas tank or my seat.

thanks,
Wayne

Lucky

if you pull the 2 screws from under the ignition & drop it down, you will see 2 more screws that seperate the lock from the switch.  take those 2 out & you can turn just the switch use a flat blade screwdriver in the slot.

Vision keys are a pain to cut. i have 10 blanks i tried to cut one at work & my machine there isn't accurate enough..

wboeck

I took out the ignition switch by removing the two bolts and took it to a locksmith. They cut me two keys but they seem to not turn the ignition sufficiently. It appears to be only 10 degrees. It is possible for them to cut new key? It should work for the tank and seat as well?

wboeck

Just called the locksmith and they said there should be seperate keys for the gas cap, seat and ignition. I thought one key operated all? The replacement key does not appear to be turning sufficiently so I am sure it needs re-cut? Any advice is greatly appreciated. I am planning on taking it back to them later today.

Wayne

vadasz1

You are correct that one key should operate all the locks on ANY bike.  But make sure that all the locks are the same.  I recall Lucky posting awhile back that the locks can all be recoded to be the same as he has all his Visions keyed alike, one key for all.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

wboeck

I could not remember having more than one key that operated all. The locksmith tried telling me on the phone that I need seperate keys for each. It has been a long time since I used a key on them but I thought it was only one. They were telling me that it is such an old bike that the dealer has no idea about this how many keys it needs. However, the locksmith has no idea about this forum having people who know better.

ps2/bikevision

if the lock will turn a little try spraying it with some oil. like wd40 or somthing. work the key a bit it just may be the locks are gumed up. sounds to me like you need a new lock smith. the guy i go to will cut a 100 keys if he has to till he gets one to work. it took 10 keys and 2 days to get a key made for my old blazer. i ended up leaving him the blazer till he got it right. didnt cost me any extra. it ended up being somthing wrong with one of the locks but he fixed it for free.

wboeck

Now I feel like an idiot. The keys do work for the ignition. I did not plunge the key before trying to turn. It works when I do that. However, the gas cap and seat does not work. At least I do not think. Thanks for your advice.

Wayne

GT @ oh.

The key should turn the lock on the tank 90 degrees left then twist cap off.......as for the seat.... turning left.... unlocks helmet latch...... and to the right....... it unlocks seat..... but you still have to use lever just to the right of lock and under seat to open seat

wboeck

I will give that a try tonight. It appears that is better than I thought.

thanks,
Wayne

wboeck

finally got my seat unlocked and disconnected my tank. There is a lot of rust at the bottom corners  :(  It may be too much for repair?
http://members.cox.net/icstars/tank.JPG Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Wayne

vadasz1

wboeck:  Don't worry too much about the rust.  My tank was leaking enough to bubble the paint in the lower corner behind the petcock.  After stripping the paint with a heat gunand also the body filler, I noticed some soldering jobs on the tank.  After melting the solder and cleaning with a wire brush I found a few gouges, one about 3/16" wide by 2" long.  I had a friend of mine tig weld a piece of 1/8" flat bar to seal the hole and also tig weld the remaining pinholes.  Still wept fuel abit but now I layed 2 layers of fiberglass over the tig welded area and then I bondoed it as well.  I also put a thick layer of bondo on the right side just to make it look symetrical.  I think the fiberglass should work great, but only time will tell.  My next step is to use Xylene to clean out the  Kreemed interior and then use some sealer like POR15 or something that may be even better.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

Quote from: vadasz1 on July 24, 2008, 09:37:00 AM
You are correct that one key should operate all the locks on ANY bike.  But make sure that all the locks are the same.  I recall Lucky posting awhile back that the locks can all be recoded to be the same as he has all his Visions keyed alike, one key for all.

Be aware that there are at least 2 different blanks used on the Vision, & i'm fairly sure there are actually 3.
they are NOT interchangable.

for whatever reason, motorcycle keys are particuarly hard to cut, i will not allow my employees to cut thes, we don't stock any & refuse customer provided blanks....

Rick G

My lock smith took 2 tries to get a working key , no extra charge . I think you need to try a different locksmith. I went to one on MPLS  who always got it right. My ACE hardware doesn't carry the blanks either .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike