New Vision Owner......New Carb Problems

Started by Bendet, June 11, 2008, 08:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bendet

Hi everyone, this past Saturday I bought a 1982 Vision with 6700 miles. The guy even gave me another parts bike for free. Great condition but it doesn't run. The previous owner said it ran well last year but needed a carb cleaning for it to run. I have read many posts and I have the Haynes manual as well. I want to do this myself and I would call myself mechanically inclined. Is this a resonable thing to take on myself? I noticed there was a carb rebuild kit on ebay for $70 per carb and another one from motorcyclecarbs.com that is 26.95 per carb. I know what comes in the ebay kit but not in this other kit, is it okay to just get the cheap one?  Also, the front and rear bowl drains are both broken. One is completely ruined and the other the plastic nipple is broken on the other. Are these parts obtainable or creatable?  Any info would be great. Thanks.

Night Vision

welcome.... but be advised, there's no such thing as "new carb problems" around here.... no worries, we've been there, done that...

find out what's included in the cheap kit and we can advise you on its' value

nipple transplants are painless
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Mechnically inclined + Haynes manual+ ROV = No Problem.  Seriously consider aquiring one of El Luckios' cd's.  See my post of 15 minutes ago on the General Board for a list of most of what you're looking at.

inanecathode

Just do one at a time, its really hard to put them together wrong you almost have to do it on purpose :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

So says someone who's never seen me trying to put something together. :D

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Brian Moffet

Just remember, smaller parts get made into larger parts.  Larger parts get made into even larger parts.  Then you finally finish.

But, there are also people who will rebuild the carbs here on the forum too :-)

Brian

h2olawyer

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 27, 2008, 01:40:14 PM
Just remember, smaller parts get made into larger parts.  Larger parts get made into even larger parts.  Then you finally finish.

But, there are also people who will rebuild the carbs here on the forum too :-)

Brian

But what should I have done with all those leftover little parts?   ;D   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Make a new bike by buying the bigger parts  ::)

jasonm.

please clarify. What do you mean by bowl drains broken ? The drain screws are available from independent H-D shops who like Mikuni carbs.  If the threads for the screws are trashed...then you have an issue. The plastic nipples on my '82 carbs are pressed over a piece of brass. If the '82 is the same...the plastic can be removed and a hose zip tied over the brass. But AGAIN , I am stating what I see on my '83 carbs.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules