News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Technical Questions.

Started by Joshua Johnson, June 21, 2004, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua Johnson

OK couple questions. first off my 82 didn't come with a manual when i bought it. Also when i start my yamaha the tachometer well go up and down at just about 100 rpm. when i rev the throttle it will go to the bottom(below 100 at 0) but i let off and it will go back up. after about 5-8 minutes when the bike is warmed up, the tach works fine. just like that no slow transition of sluggishness, just boom first it doesn't then it does type thing. Secondly I store it in my basement, which is moderatly humid, so i know the brakes are gonna be a little sluggishness when i roll it out in neutral...BUT i put on the center stand had my brother hold the back to lift the front. The front wheel rolled fine when simulating the bike going forward. But was VERY tight and i actually had to apply a reasonable amount of pressure whent to simulate it to go backwards....just becuz i haven'y ridin it in a while?? third and last...what kind of oil should i use for the bike. i wasn't sure it if mattered but i figured its water cooled, an all this other stuff so i didn't wanna screw anything up.
Thx Josh

nvdranger

Sorry I cant help much but this will get you started.  Use 20W50 oil, seems what "most" people use from what I have read.  I've also read that using a synthetic helps alot to keep the bike at cooler running temps.

I'll leave the rest to the Vision Guru's

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

George R. Young

The business about harder to go backward than forward. For me this was an indication that the brake pads needed replacing, you might have a look at the remaining thickness.

Walt_M.

Hmmm, a damp and humid basement, about the worst place I could think of to store any bike. I can think of all kinds of corrosion issues, electrical connectors being one.
I think your tach problem might be due to a bad connection. If you can't find a dry place, things will get worse. By the way, your tach reads times 1000, not 100.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

The oil several of us are using is  Mobil 1 synthic with the red cap .
Synthic's provide  several benifits, among them are smoother shifting , lower operating temps . Just obey the standard change interval  of 2000 to 3000 miles, you cant run it for extended intervals in a bike.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I just changed from Yamalube 4 20-40 to Bel-Ray EXS synthetic 10-50.  Much smoother, cooler & quieter.  Heartily recommend going to a synthetic.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.