Started by xswheels, August 03, 2008, 10:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Quote from: Tiger on August 16, 2008, 07:46:46 AM
:) Oh, you mean a Victory dealer!!! Unless they have someone who knows there way around a Vision, you may wait a while :o...and still not have her fixed!!!

8).......TIGER........ 8)

They probably can work on a Victory Vision . . .   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kev10104

I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone.This is my first bike and am kind of lost.I didn't have a clue where to bring my bike but a buddy from work is involved with Victory and said his mechanic used to race these bikes.I hope he is right because I just want to ride.I feel a little taken advantaged of because I'm sure the prvious owner knew he was selling me a bike with issues.i still think I have a great bike because it rides awesome I'm just hoping it doesn'y cost me an arm and a leg.

h2olawyer

Most Visions will have some issues when they are sold.  Sometimes the owner knows & doesn't want to do the work & other times, the owner is just clueless.

Owning any 25 year old bike requires some patience, fortitude and mechanical skills.  If you learn to work on the Vision yourself, you gain confidence in your mechanical skills and know the work you've done to your bike was done right - assuming you followed the directions.  It takes some time and you need to start out doing the more simple projects, then just move up to the next level.  Consider it an education.  If you are fortunate, you will find a mechanic who has heard of a Vision.  If you are incredibly fortunate, you find one who actually has experience successfully working on them.  The day you find one of those, go buy a lottery ticket - your odds of winning are higher than finding a knowledgable Vision mechanic at a shop.   ;D

Hope you get the issues worked out without too much financial discomfort.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kev10104

Me too and thank you.

kev10104

Could someone tell me what kind of motor oil to use for a 1983 vision.Thanks.

ProfessorRex

Technically you can use any oil that does not have friction modifiers, HOWEVER, I highly recomend using motorcycle oil spec'd for wet clutches.  The clutch pack sits in a bath of motor oil and if you use standard car motoroil the friction modifiers (zinc) will cause the clutch to slip.  I use bel-ray full sythetic, it's really exspensive, but it's reaaaaalllllly slick.  I notice lower operating temps and smoother shifting.  It does weap out of seals a bit more than non-syn oils, but I feel that's just evidence of good things happening inside.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Tiger

:) I use Castrol motorcycle oil...available at your local Walmart or Canadian Tire...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kwells

You can use the synthetic car oils now.  Just make sure it is not marked as 'Conserving' 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kev10104

I appreciate all of your help.

Rick G

Just look at the circle on the back , which states the performance level. If it states ,in the bottom of the circle "Energy Conserving" I wouldn't put it in my car, let alone a bike. If the area in he bottom of the circle is blank , then is alright . I've used this type of oil for 6 or 7 years with no , clutch problems.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

It's been over a month since I bought my vision and still can't ride it.It's been in the shop for 3 weeks because it needed a stater.The shop said they couldn't find one so I ordered it from the states and recieved it last Monday and dropped ot off.I was hoping to be able to ride for the long weekend.Guess I am going to have to put ski's on it to ride this year if I ever get it back.

Walt_M.

I think you've found a place to avoid in the future. Most new bike shops don't want to work on old bikes and many won't! Did you get a price quote on the work? A competent mechanic should be able to replace a stator in less than 2 hours(H2O Lawyer can do it in less). But that won't guarantee your charging system is fixed.
If you have tools and any mechanical competance at all you should plan to do your own repairs. As we say, a Vision is never done! Good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kev10104

Finally got my bike back today and headed straight for the highway.I just loved it.I think I will need another mechanic though.

Tiger

Quote from: kev10104 on September 05, 2008, 01:07:19 AM
Finally got my bike back today and headed straight for the highway.I just loved it.I think I will need another mechanic though.

:) Great news... 8) Bring her to the Fall Ride and you will have several Vision guys to help you. Wolf, who you have met, is riding up on the Friday, (19th)... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Suggest you check your charging system voltage output with a multimeter set on vdc, testing across the battery at idle and up to about 6k RPM.  Purpose is to get a baseline with your new stator coil and to determine the condition of your RR.  I would like to know what you find.

kev10104

I will check that and I might be able to make the ride.I'm working on it anyway.