BEFORE you get a Vision...

Started by Tiger, August 04, 2008, 08:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

My wife once asked me to sell my Monster so I added 2 more bikes.  That will learn her.   ;D
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Dibble

Ahhh yes! The FREE/CHEAP Vision  :) :) Tiger knows all about my escapade. I got my Vision for "FREE". It had been sitting for 16 years. Had it "running" the same day (pouring gas down the carbs). Then I went to the dealer for ALL my parts, OUCH. I have all of my receipts in a little box, that I think needs to find its way into an accidental fire. Last I checked I was up to $1800. But the way I look at it is: try to buy a used bike with new tires, brakes, battery, etc. safetied and ready to go for $1800....

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

QBS

I think Dibbles' point is the main bottom line.

Lucky

Quote from: Tiger on August 04, 2008, 08:52:20 AM

Fast forward...You "found" a free/cheap Vision ::) THERE IS NO SUCH THING!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)

My 'free' Vision  (Cafe' bike) ended up costing me $600. long story short: don't blow an altenator in West Virgina on a Sunday with out of state plates unless your prepaired to PAY! >:(
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

motorcyclezen

Tiger: WORD, Bro.

I read a great article by Jay Leno in American Motorcyclist talking about old bikes in his collection (which is impressive) and older bikes in general. You have to ride and wrench them.

Optimally I like to have a reliable machine (EN500 Vulcan for me) and a project bike. I've always had a heck of a lot more fun riding the project bikes. To me, the vision is a giraffe, which is to say I can't but my feet down flat at stops. It took me a while to get used to the handling, but I truly love my quirky Emmie. And in the case of my Vulcan, I was regularly wrenching her to "keep the good in."

Ed--

kev10104

i JUST BOUGHT A 1983 vISION AND THE PERSON i BOUGHT IT FROM DROPPED IT OFF AT MY HOUSE.NOT 2 MINUTES AFTER HE LEFT THE BIKE WOULD NOT START.i CHARGED THE BATTERY AND AFTER STARTING IT FOR 3 TIMES THE BATTERY DIED.i BOUGHT A NEW BATTERY AND CAN RIDE IT FOR ABOUT AN HOUR AND THE BATTERY DIES OUT.i HAVE IT IN THE SHOP NOW AND THEY THINK IT IS THE STATOR AND I'M HOPING THATS ALL IT IS.

macroars

Lucky have on more than one occasion referred to the fault finding diagram from Electrosport to decite whether it is the stator or not that is the problem. The diagram is to be found at:
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

When it comes to stators, there are more than one source - and might more than one level of quality.

Take your time to search through some of the stator discussions at this site before you decides where to buy to what amount of $$$.

MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

YellowJacket!

Kev, I think your "Caps Lock" key is stuck.  ;D

Othe than that... Welcome to ROV and the wonderful world of Vision ownership.  I hope your problems are not serious or expensive and you get to enjoy riding your new Vision soon.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kev10104

Thanks everyone and my caps lock were apparently stuck.

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ecow

Sigh I suspect I should have found and read this thread before I picked up my Vision. Fortunatly it seemed to act as a good introduction to the fact I am really going to start riding again for my girlfiend. The last few years every spring my wrist would start twitching and I would begin checking out bike ads. But since I have only gotten the Vision to start and run for a few seconds and a guy I work with made me a deal I couldn't turn down on a different bike I'm going to have to join the ranks of those folks that stop you guys and talk about the one that got away.  :'( At least the new bike will carry us double when I can get it running and her convinced to climb aboard.