carbs 101 and lets get her running!

Started by littleracer, June 21, 2004, 05:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleracer

Just bought an '82 a couple weeks ago.   ;D  She was running great!  Now, not so great.   ???   She started idling quite low and often konked out, even with choke.  Then it happened...she doesn't run.   >:(  Problem: most likely due to corrosion in the gas tank?

Plan of attack:

I've pulled the carbs off.  I tried to avoid getting anything out of adjustment.  Is this even possible?  Now I want to get them cleaned....I admit, I really don't know what I'm doing, but it's fun learning already.  Is it as simple as getting some carb cleaner and letting them soak for a few hours and putting them back on?  Or, are there only certain parts to soak.  Do I need to get into the small crevices with a fine brush?

When I get the bike running again, I plan to line the gas tank to avoid any further problems, which is hopefully the only cause of the problem.

One other question:

I noticed that gas flows through the line when on reserve (good), also when on PRI (good, what is this?), but not when on "on"(bad?).  Is there an "off"?

Comments appreciated.

littleracer

Walt_M.

It isn't really likely that you can get the carbs thoroughly clean without disassembling them and, since you have them off already, you may as well go for it. Be careful with the accelerator pump diaphragm as the cleaner might attack it.   Be very careful, especially with the float pivots and the external drain/overflow fittings. They are delicate and easy to break, also hard to fix.
As for the fuel petcock, you should not have fuel flow if the engine is off except in Pri(prime). On and Res are vacuum operated and should flow only with the engine running.
For lining the fuel tank, try POR 15, do not use Kreem.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I would have tried spraying a little carb cleaner in the carbsa & checking to see if it would start, but since the carbs are off already, it's too late for that.

When you take the carbs apart, remove everything that's not metal: hoses, diaphrams, gaskets, etc.  if your careful you can reuse the gskets no problem. there are rebuild kits on ebay (look up Keyster, xz550) for about $30 each (you'll need 2) but you probably won't need them.

remove all the jets, record the sizes & soak each set of jets with their carb (ft & rear)

take some pics if you can to help with reasembly.

Use berrymans carb dip (pepboys, about $12) leave the carbs in for no more than 1/2 hour or you'll destroy the throttle shaft seals. (don't try to remove them) blush the carbs well with a garden hose and dry with compressed (or canned) air.

see my site: Vision Resources at http://www.xz550.com for lots more info on the Vision.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

BTW, crack loose the synq rod nut (the rod that connects the 2 carbs on the left side) but don't allow the rods to turn. you'll have to resynq the carbs when you get them done & back on. this will keep you close enough to start the bike.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nvdranger

have you picked up the haynes manual yet?  i'm not much of a wrench when it comes to bikes (this is my first) and the manual helped ALOT.  the manual also helps in all other areas of the bike, used it for the forks, starter, crankcase, coolant flush basically everything you need to rebuild the entire bike is there.  just my 2 cents.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.