Shift Shaft Seal replacement tips?

Started by Lucky, June 20, 2004, 04:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I have to pull the stator cover (again! lol) because I didn't seal the wires well & have the "Vision Drip" (I coined it, i'm claiming credit) and figure I might as well do the shift shaft seal while i'm in there.

anyone know the size?

any tips on doing it?

In the manual it looks like all I have to do is pull the washer and then find a way to get in there with a hook or screwdriver & pull it out.. anything else?

Thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

Seal...Use a drywall screw to go into the body of the seal AWAY from the shift shaft. Takes just a firm pull once it screws itself in. Done this many times.
 As far as the wire leak. Get rid of the braid and clean with brake clean. Then use Permatex Ultra Black or Grey. Done this on both of mine. No drips Unless I park it for a month on the side stand. Which never happens anyway.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

h2olawyer

QuoteNo drips Unless I park it for a month on the side stand. Which never happens anyway

Then how did you find out?  ;D
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Thanks for the tip Jason, drywall screw worked like a charm.
I pulled the one off the parts bike so mine wouldn't be down while finding a replacement.

seal size: 12-23-5 with the spring

as to the wires leaking, I ran out of time the day I did it and rushed them, that's why it leaked.

So, now i'll have an additional reccomendation when doing the stator/starter clutch/balanceshaft nuts. add shift shaft seal to the list.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black