News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New Vision Rider with battery problems

Started by davidsmithxc, August 08, 2008, 08:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidsmithxc

Hi everybody, I just got a Vision last week and I am really excited to ride it.  It is my first street bike and I'm really looking forward to getting some good rides in on it.

Any way, according to the previous owner he just replaced the stator.  However, the battery is losing charge overnight.  Trickle charging it gets it up to about 13.6V.  It will start the bike up no problem, but the voltage across the battery with the bike on is only 12.8V.  Revving the bike does not increase the voltage at all.  I haven't had a chance to check the actual voltage across the starter, but within 8 hours the charge dropped to 12.3V and by the next day it was down to 11.3 and I wasn't able to get the bike started.

I'm waiting to hear back from the previous owner as to the age of the battery, but it sounds like I've got some other electrical issues possibly going on.  I printed out the Electrical Fault Finding flowchart from the tech page of ROV.net and will be going through that tomorrow.

I looked through the forum and it looks like I have an R/R problem or a dead battery, but I'm really just guessing based on what I read.  Any tips or other riders experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV...and congratulations on acquiring a Vision as your first street bike... 8)

The Vision NEED's a good, fully charged battery. I run over the border to Niagara Falls N.Y. and buy my Vision batteries at Walmart...$29.95 ,(and a float charger for $18.50)...($59.95 and $46.00 respectively here in a Canadian Walmart!!!)
Once you have filled and fully charged the battery, install and do the Electrex tests...

http://www.ridersofvision.net/Technical/fault_finding.pdf

...Start at "A" and go right through to "Z"...do not miss/jump bits. You will then know exactly what your problem(s) is/are...Stator, R/R, etc ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
ps I think you have, for starters, a duff battery ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!