News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

The custom vision

Started by chimera, August 16, 2008, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimera

I'm finally done with the beast. You name it and I probably replaced or repaired it. Unfortunately my reasons for buying the bike in the first place have changed, and now I'll most likely have to sell it. Oh well, it helped occupy my time for a little while.

repairs:
stator (a preventative measure)
stator cover gasket (old one was pouring out oil)
front brake pads
fork seals/oil
battery
rebuilt starter
new fiberglass gas tank (old "repaired" one leaked a whole lot)
rebuilt carbs

Mods:
new fiberglass tank
equal length header
underbelly ZX10R muffler
scratch built subframe
modified Buell XB9 seat
custom rear fender
aluminum overflow bottle
GSXR tail light
R1 turn signals
fiberglass undertail
after market Harley gas cap
pilot driving lights
after market Harley round headlight
aluminum battery box
aluminum rad shrouds
Delrin frame sliders
cut down rearsets
bobbed front fender
Paint- GM Torch Red

Before. Not so hot.

Now

Every tool is a hammer, except screwdrivers, those are chisels.
                         <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/meatpopsicle/Bike/ ">-The other bike build-</A>

YellowJacket!

OMG!  It's GORGEOUS!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

gotta go change my pants...  :o ::)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

don_vanecek

Tiger

8) Superb...but confused...tell me again why are you going to sell her ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

chimera

Quote from: Tiger on August 16, 2008, 09:31:09 PM
8) Superb...but confused...tell me again why are you going to sell her ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)

It's a long story. Needless to say I've got too many bikes and only one ass.
                         <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/meatpopsicle/Bike/ ">-The other bike build-</A>

ps2/bikevision

Lucky

I hope someone in the fold buys her...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Ron_McCoy

h2olawyer

BRAVO!  Well done.  With that much time & effort, I would have a real hard time selling it!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

You are one hell of a fabricator. i love a bike thats made from bits and pieces of others!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Extent

That's quite a bike, I really like the swingarm and drum blacked out.  I've always wanted to make a custom subframe too, that looks really clean.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

supervision

What a transformation!  No problem, too big for you!  I'd love your work, I have thought's of the same type of custom, though mine would use a chin faring to hold battery, solenoid , ect.  The striped clean area where the catchtank, battery was, looks perfect!  Have you run it much? How's it run with that pipe? I also think the black wheels look great!  My bike is black, and I blacked my wheels with marking pin!   By the way, could you tell me what tires, and sizes those are?  That thing looks bitchin
" border="0

Walt_M.

Now THAT is the way to do a naked Vision! It is crying out for lower bars though. Does the rear tire hit the flat panel under the seat? Still a good looking bike though.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Shop Rat

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 17, 2008, 12:26:30 AM
BRAVO!  Well done.  With that much time & effort, I would have a real hard time selling it!

H2O

Let's see.....what could I sell to finance this purchase. Hmmmm. A certain left-side part of my body? Drat! No market for that!

This bike deserves a feature in Cycle World's next custom roadbike feature. It's that good.
Suffice to say I plan on stealing a few ideas for my own XZ project.

Frank
frankcalandra49@gmail.com
'82 XZ550
'83 CB1100F

chimera

Yeah, It's amazing what painting the wheels/ suspension does to the look of the bike. The exhaust sounds pretty good. Kind of like the old exhaust, and it's not even loud. I haven't had it on the road. I never bothered to register it, and now I probably won't. The tires were one thing I didn't replace, because their new. The front tire is a IRC durotour RS-31of 90-90-18, the rear is a Bridgestone battleax 110-90.

If I were keeping it I would go with lower bars, maybe 83 risers, put on some bar end mirrors, and flush mount the tail light. Like any project though, If I don't call it done, it never will be. I really don't thing the rear tire will hit the undertail. I'm pretty sure it has more clearance now than it did with the stock fender.

Cycle world, I wish. If they weren't interested in my last bike they probably won't be in this one.

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

chimera

I almost forgot. I bought this darkroom window blackout stuff.  It's just a big vinyl sticker. I thought I'd use it to break up some of the acres of red. It's a lot cheaper than doing it in paint, and it's easily reversible. I kinda doubt It would handle high speeds, but that shouldn't be a problem.

jasonm.

is that  a modified stock fuel tank of a total fiberglass/plastic one. We could all use something that won't rust.  WOW...
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Brian Moffet