News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

The custom vision

Started by chimera, August 16, 2008, 07:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

A vision tank would be a challenge to weld . You need to get a very experienced welder to pass judgment on the project.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jefferson

They can be welded as I had the one on the racebike done. The original tank had the gas cap beat off of it and the guy cut a good one out of another tank and welded it into the original tank. I think the only issue would be welding low on the tank and getting into rust.

Jeff

Rikugun

Did they TIG weld the race bike tank? Here's a thread from a metal forming site where a guy butted 2 razor blades together and TIG welded them.
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=390
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

I am pretty sure it was either mig or tig, but I don't know. I would like to have been there and watched.  He did the paint job on it too and I did get some bubbling up over some of the weld.

Jeff

Hartless

You would have to have a damn good mig welder and someone with a lot of experience to get a good weld on a v tank that will last. I formed some very thin flat iron and brazed it to my old tank to fix the 1000 pinholes on the lower part or the tank. Turned out nice
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

Rikugun

I agree Adam, I'd guess TIG.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

I looked up metal spraying, pretty interesting stuff, I tried to contact a local company just to see if they would do a bike tank & how much, but the number was no good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

If I'm not mistaken, chimera's tank is all fiberglass.  He made a mold of the original tank then modified it to create the one he has on the bike now.  He had a whole thread with lots of pictures.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

artbone

Quote from: Lucky on September 24, 2012, 11:30:46 PM
Ive been told that our tanks are too thin to weld. (I don't weld)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be a pretty fair welder and I think I could probably do it. If I can't I've got a friend who's an aircraft mechanic that can weld Reynolds Wrap.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

PwrManDan

I would be willing to donate a few bucks toward a tank and a master mold, if anyone thought we could find a place to do a run for the ROV.

calipanda

wow that is one sexy beast.