On Injured Reserve List....autopsy results

Started by Night Vision, August 21, 2008, 07:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

:'( Bad news: after 8,000 miles my used Virago "Low Voltage" stator gave out on SmokeBomb yesterday..

GOOD NEWS: it happened on an epic 260 mile ride with my son on RedSkunk and my brother on CherryBomb

if I was a stator... that's how'd I want to go  ;)

here's to good rides and healthy stators ;D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

It gave it's life so you could ride.  Noble part, indeed!   ;D

H2O
(aka Stator Slayer)
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:o Oh shite, don't let its sister know.....Shhhhhhhh, shes asleep in the garage, in a nice warm bath of oil...in "The Mistress" ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

And here I have one waiting in the wings , ready to install as soon as the present one (OEM I think)  drifts off in a puff of smoke. I'll probably use it anyway .
What is needed is a conversion that drives an outside mounted stator , by a chain, or gears. That way it would run cooler and even if it didn't it would be easier to change.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

supervision

Sorry about your loss, Night Vision. So much for the low output=equals longer life idea, I guess. Just yesterday, I was trying to think of oil cooling the stator.  If the hole was super small.... and came out the side of bolt head, so it was directing the oil in a circle, rather than just peeing out the end of the bolt, it might be very effective.   Is anyone currently running a bolt with a hole?  I am afraid of lower oil pressure!
" border="0

don_vanecek

Well how neat to have both a son and a brother as fellow Vision riders.  Afraid none of my kids have gotten into motorcycles. However two of my son-in-laws have to some extent (the one used my Vision to get his MC license and had a nice scare when he was passing some traffic about two years ago and my front end started to shake on him-problem since solved).

So me and my two brothers each do our own dangerous thing, the one flys his 172 Cessna (used to fly jets-had an engine fall off his KC-135 once while taking off when he was in the AF) the other shoots guns (loads his own ammo), and I ride a motorcycle.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: don_vanecek on August 22, 2008, 10:46:32 AM
the other shoots guns (loads his own ammo),

That's the only dangerous thing, the other two aren't :-)

h2olawyer

Shooting sports are not dangerous.  I was taught to shoot when I was 8 years old by my grandfather.  I was a member of a junior rifle club from age 12 through 18 (and earned several levels of 'sharpshooter' medals).  Firearm safety was always first & foremost at our weekly meetings / target practice.  I thoroughly enjoy blasting clay birds out of the sky and target practice with any of my several rifles.  However, the most fun is my .45 cal black powder replica Colt Dragoon.

Guns are only as dangerous as the person handling them, just like cars, motorcycles, power tools, etc.  A firearm is really just another tool.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If more people were correctly introduced to them at an early age, there would be much less fear associated with them.

I've noticed that there is a vastly different attitude toward firearms between people who grew up in a rural vs. an urban environment.  Most of us 'ruralies' have been around lots of guns for as long as we can remember & have never seen or had any mishap with them.

Thread hijack over.  (no rant intended, just some musing)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 22, 2008, 12:10:05 PM
I was taught to shoot when I was 8 years old by my grandfather.

In my case it was my father.  Was a good rifle shooter in Boy Scouts...

don_vanecek

What is really a hoot is my 64 year old brother shoots in these military type rifle matchs at the range he belongs to(M-1's, m-16's, AR-15's) and consistently comes in first and second beating out guys 20-30 years younger then him and they often have some pretty fancy modified guns.

Opps, sorry are we stealing your post again?

YellowJacket!

I went to military school for high school (willingly) and was on both the pistol and rifle teams.  We were the only high school to compete against colleges such as USMA, USAFA etc....and win.  I shot "master marksman" in small bore rifle and expert marksman in pistol (22, 9mm and 45).  My only quirk, and one that drove my coaches crazy is that I'm right handed but left eye dominant.  I shot pistol right handed but used my left eye...made for some interdeting sigh calibrations.  ;D
But even more odd is that I shoot rifle left handed which did not prove to be a problem until the first time I fired an M-16 on full auto.  Got smacked in the cheek by three ejected shells. :o
Firing the twin 50's with the national guard was a very thrilling experience.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Aelwulf

Quote from: h2olawyer on August 22, 2008, 12:10:05 PM
Shooting sports are not dangerous. 
H2O

Unless it's the type of sport where someone else is doing it at the same time towards you. ;)

I did well with rifles growing up, started with a BB gun, shot my dad's .22 a lot.  I've barely missed Marksman each time I've gone with the M-16.  I'm a bit out of practice for now, need to get my rifles out and ready to shoot again.  And yeah, those shells hurt. :P In Basic the instructors didn't like me either, I do the same thing with rifles.  Right-handed but tend to aim with my left eye.  Trying to work out of the habit but it's a habit...

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Night Vision

are you guys implying that I should shoot my Vision? GudGawd it's only the stator! its not fatal  :P
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

No hunting Visions!  That would be firearm operator error!

H2O

YellowJacket!

speaking of firearm operator error.

I once kenew a goy who took his family to the park for a cookout.  After trying unsuccessfully for several minutes to get the charcoal lighted he decided to douse the grill with lighter fluid.  He stepped back and flicked a match onto it and WHOOMP!  It flared right up and ignighted his right arm.  He ran around screaming and waving his arm like a madman until he was tackled by a police officer who quickly extinguished the conflagration.  However, he was promptly arrested immediately after.  His charges?  Waving a firearm in public!  ;D  ;D  :o  :o

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

supervision

After taking a better look at your picture, I notice the center bikes paint job.  Looks nice!  The white follows a good line.  Also I see the seat has a grab-strap, and the wheels are black.  That's cool you guys had a 260 mile run. Riding with your son and brother, thats good time I'll bet! One of my neighbors, has four sons, all of which ride!  Yesterday, the dad, two sons and I went out for a little ride. We did a 150 mi. ride, part of which was thru  the Little Dragon,  my bike turned 56,000 miles.  I rode kind of easy, and was curious on what kind of mileage I could get...  I went 120 miles, on only 1.77 gallons of gas! 
" border="0

vadasz1

supervision:  How eay were you riding?  That worked out to 67.79661 MPG.  I thought visions usually got around 50 MPG.  Did you cheat and shut the engine off on the down hill parts..... :P
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

inanecathode

Quote from: YellowJacket! on August 24, 2008, 08:59:55 AM
speaking of firearm operator error.

I once kenew a goy who took his family to the park for a cookout.  After trying unsuccessfully for several minutes to get the charcoal lighted he decided to douse the grill with lighter fluid.  He stepped back and flicked a match onto it and WHOOMP!  It flared right up and ignighted his right arm.  He ran around screaming and waving his arm like a madman until he was tackled by a police officer who quickly extinguished the conflagration.  However, he was promptly arrested immediately after.  His charges?  Waving a firearm in public!  ;D  ;D  :o  :o

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic...

David

That reminds me of this:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QBS

Little known (but really important) V trivia....

Regarding coasting on a V with the engine off:  The owners manual says DON'T DO IT.  The V transmission is lubricated by engine oil pressure.  No oil pressure means no transmission bearing lubrication. 

h2olawyer

The paint job and seat strap on that center bike that supervision likes so much were available on Euro versions of the XZ.  I've seen the paint both in red and in silver.  It is a very sharp look.  Might do something with Tractor when I do the repaint.

H2O