News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

More places for those electrical Gremlins to hide

Started by Lucky, June 19, 2004, 05:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I was working on a mod to my electrical system yesterday, I had long ago removed the safety interlock system from the bike, and also had installed a live oil guage with a sender in the stock location.  Since the red oil warning light was of no use I decided to hook it to my side stand. so the light is on with the side stand down. (hey it's a use for it :> ) I took one of the plain relays from my parts bike & opened it up to see how it was wired, since it only has 4 contacts. (standard auto relay has 5).

There was a lot of corrosion & rust in the relay. so much so that I decided to check on all the relays on my bike. lo & behold, every one was full of crud.  i'm surprised that they worked at al!

Th rust mostly came from the inside of the metal covers, so I wire brushed them out with a dremil, and gave them a spray with rustolium, inside & out. I sprayed out the relays with contact cleaner & lightly sanded the contact points.  I haven't run the bike yet as i'm not done with my side stand light, but it should be interesting to see if it makes any differance.  at least it should be that much more reliable...

--Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black