News:

Main Menu

Went to the Boneyard Today

Started by YellowJacket!, August 27, 2008, 08:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Well, it was a dreary rainy day and I drove my cage over to Lucky's to pick him up for a  day of adventure at the cycle boneyard.  We headed up to a small town called Morristown near northern TN to an indoor warehouse style MC salvage yard.  Unfortunately, most of the bikes were in better condition than the building was..and that's not saying much.  As Lucky and I were walking around, parts of the roof were actually falling down!!  It was also raining inside in places.  :o

Anyway, there were thousands of bikes and we ended up borrowing a flashlight because most of the lights inside did not work.  We managed to find a few Visions, however, they were all 82's.  I was hoping to find some 83's to get some rearsets etc to change my riding position but no dice.  We did Find a fairly good 82 with what looked like and RD350 front end on it. I'll defer the info from that bike to Lucky since it was a pretty cool arrangement that I think he will want to post about.  We did get a decent fork brace off it though and a YICS.  We also found some really nice calipers and a splitter but the guy jacked us on the price and we didn't want to pay it.

After that adventure, we drove around a bit looking for "lees cycle salvage" and when we got there the guy told us "I ain't seen a Vision here in years".  Since we were there though we spent about another hour or so looking around.  It was more of an outside yard so we could see things better but the rain came again.  They did have some little barns with things like carbs, starters, exhausts etc in bins but nothing we could use.

There are still a few other yards to explore which we will probably hit in the future when time allows.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

here are pics of the fork brace we found, i think it was an RD350 ft end on a Vision..
the tube pieces rest on the top rdge of the lower (see 2nd pic), & the top holes are slightly enlarged (not slotted). i'm sure it'll install without binding.

top view, the fork tube clamps are aluminum, the top piece is chrome
</img>

one end view
</img>

bottom view (surface rust!)
</img>

air fitting for fork tubes, should be a simple mod on Vision tubes
</img>

</img>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

just did a quick (now preliminary) install, it's gonna need shims, but only by a few thousandths of an inch.  Dave, what did you shim your Beamer brace with? steel can?

anyone able to i.d. them? there are no markings on them except an arrow on each end cap i assume face forward.

kiawrench

lucky,, i think that is an old del orto brace, like one on the black vision,,,  was made for visions and couple other bikes,  each bike had a fittting guide, and they were tweaked to fit solid  . as for shims,, i went down to local napa store and bought a package of gm starter shims, and used only one under each cap , torque the bolts to 40 ft lb, back them off ,and re-torque to 30 ft lbs ,then ride it like you stole it .
depending on width of the shims you buy, you may have to trim a little off the edges to keep it neat .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

YellowJacket!

Kia told me many years ago to use the starter shims which is what I used.  ;D

David

Superfly

That is a nice Fork brace.  The Air tube balancer looks alot like the one I had on my Seca Turbo.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

reardeac

whats the name of the salvage yard in morristown.... have been through there a time or two and would like to check it out

YellowJacket!

Quote from: reardeac on August 31, 2008, 01:54:16 PM
whats the name of the salvage yard in morristown.... have been through there a time or two and would like to check it out

Midsouth Motorcycle Salvage.  We went to the one on 211 montvue st but they apparently have another location - that I missed - on Buffalo trail too.  The second yard we went to was called Lee's Cycle Salvage off of Sulphur Springs.

Where do you live that you go to morristown?  I'm in Knoxville and Lucky is in Loudon.  If you are going to be in the area, let me know and we can all get together.

David

Lucky

Quote from: reardeac on August 31, 2008, 01:54:16 PM

DUDE, wear crappy boots & old cloths Trust me!!

YellowJacket!

And probably a construction helmet.  The roof was coming down on us as we were looking around....I'm really not kidding.

Bring a good POWERFUL search light or flood light.  There were almost no lighs in the place.

David

reardeac

I live in NE KY, but the mother-in-law is near Rutledge. If I am fortunate enough to miss out on a little mother/daughter bonding time I may be able to have fun... and going to the boneyard is my kind of fun  ;D