has anyone seen my baffle?

Started by Lucky, September 01, 2008, 09:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

remember this:?

</img>
</img>
</img>

It seemes that durring the construction i used the materials i had at hand, including aluminum rivets...  see where this is going?  :D

I noticed it was loose the other day & very loose this morning, i figured i'd take care of it when i got home...
Labor day, almost no traffic, a twisty enough road to work & i rolled on the throttle.
hmmm that baffle must really be loose, it's getting louder, but i'm having way too much fun to stop...  ;)

I get to work after a great ride, get off the bike, & whoa! no baffle at all!
i've got this pic in my head of it tumbling end over end, tink! tink! tink! down the road..  hope there was no one behind me.., lol

i think i saw it on the ride home i'll look again the next couple of rides back & forth to work.

made a new one when i got home using STEEL rivets this time!  ;D ;D ;D

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ps2/bikevision

ive lost several spark aresters off my dirtbikes over the years must be somthing about the heat, ive tried rivets, self tapping screws and even wire wrapped through the hole. nothing seemed to work till i started to weld them in.

is that rust i see on your center stand?

Lucky

Quote from: ps2 on September 02, 2008, 10:28:28 AM
is that rust i see on your center stand?

Yeah, but the whole bike has been cleaned & painted since then.  these shots were from when i first got it...

YellowJacket!

I can see that baffel puncturing one of those big dump truck tires on those trucks that are always driving through there.  Boy, that would be an almost instant flat tire.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

The hole that would put in a dump truck tire would probably require a boot to patch - if it would even be repairable.  Gotta keep those tire techs busy doing something more than replacing tires.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

3 passes now, no sign of it.
i made a new one last night anyway....

82dasvision

Maybe you should tie a rope on this one.... ;D
  Dave

Rick G

In '66  I test rode a TR6c  Triumph , (the c is for competition)  It had a set of high pipes down the side of the bike . The customer had spent a great deal of time fabrication a Siamese connection (like our Y pipe)  so that he could  use a Krizman spark arrester on the bike . I scooted down the road , not very far , but far enough so that I could wind it up , with out the shop hearing me.
Everything went well , until I returned . The spark arrestor was GONE, and so was the Siamese connector . It had blown right off the bike  and I didn't even hear it. I got royally chewed out  and the part that pi**ed me off, was that the guy didn't even thank me for doing the proof of concept on his design !!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(There was no way to run two cylinders through that arrester , with out blowing it off the bike!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Rick G

Lucky , I don't know just how far it would have flown , but I've been keeping my eyes open , but I'm "baffled" as to where it went! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Heard the FBI was investigating  a strange automatic weapon silencer that was found along the road......

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)