News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Cleaning up housings and other aluminum parts

Started by 82dasvision, September 02, 2008, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

82dasvision

Thanks to all for such a great forum!  Can anyone suggest the best way to clean the cast aluminum housing's?  My vision has been in storage for a long time, and the cases have corrosion on them (surface only).  And, is there an good coating (clear paint) to put on them once they are cleaned?
  Thanks again!

YellowJacket!

For really bad corrosion spotting I used 1000 to 1800 grit wet sandpaper.  For the oxidation, I used a drill and a dremel with a wire brush tool too.  A little abrasive but did a good job of getting the old clearcoat off.  Once the engine was all shiny, I started using Mothers Aluminum Polish which works pretty good.  This past weekend though, I used Noxon metal polish on my wheels.  Took a little less elbow grease than the mothers.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

82dasvision

David,
  Thanks for the feedback.  Any idea's for a new clearcoat that won't turn yellow, or peel?
  Dave

Rick G

I remove the old clear coat with paint stripper and a cheap paint brush, then i go at it with mothers and a synthetic sheep's wool pad on an electric drill. Re clear coat it ?  not I, I worked too hard to get the dam stuff off. Until the seventies "real motorcycles"  had polished cases and no dam clear coat . I think the stuff is the bane of the earth, I just polish mine up once a year, along with the fork legs and the foot peg/muffler mounts.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kevin

sapienwaste

I know I'm the reckless youngin around here, but I use a pressure washer with the smallest head...

really gets the job done, and you're not up all night polishing like with sandpaper.
Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere.

ps2/bikevision

keep using that pressure washer and youll end up with water in your oil one day. trust me. i didnt even know i blew a seal till i found water in the oil.

82dasvision

Thanks guys.  And, thanks for the clear-coat comment - it was my last choice.! Looks like it's me, Mother's and a hand drill (and or Dremil).
  Dave

Cdnlouie

I recommend a buffing wheel on a drill press or bench grinder and take the part off the bike and buff it out with the buffing compounds which are readily obtainable (of course after the paint stripping).  You can do a so-so job with the drill and wheels or various cone shaped buffing heads on the bike, but nothing looks so great as pristine (better than chrome) polished aluminum.  One of these days (called retirement) I am going to take the Vision engine out of the frame and buff out the cylinder heads too because that engine is just begging to shine!  Black and polished aluminum is my favourite Vision colour scheme.  Kind of old school  ::), I know...

Have fun!

Rick G

CDL certanly , a buffing wheel on the bench is preferable , but I never wanted to take  the bike apart for cosmetic stuff.  And when I have it apart , I'm in a hurry to get it going so I can ride .I really need two visions!

Sapen, its really an enjoyable project . Just hookup the small tv ,with your choice of game on and  pick up a six pack of your favourite wobbly pop and start on it , by the time the game is over , you will be done! ;D
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

QuoteCDL certanly , a buffing wheel on the bench is preferable , but I never wanted to take  the bike apart for cosmetic stuff.  And when I have it apart , I'm in a hurry to get it going so I can ride .I really need two visions!

Hehe, that's what i tought to.... :o
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

That's the secret fellas, two Visions, or one Vision and one Venture! I couldn't be without two wheels during the riding season.  My problem is if I can't look at it, I can't ride it  ::)!

Cheers  ;)

kiawrench

lucky---- it may take you just a bit longer than one game to get it done-- not sure, but  i think one game of checkers just isnt enough time --- roflmao
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Paint it or clear coat it, you'll be scrubbing of oxidation for as long as you have the bike if you dont.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kevin

The rims are not clear coated. Once the aluminum is polished it doesn't take much to keep it that way.

Lester56

Guys....8 years ago when I got back into motorcycling I purchased a 1982 Honda Magna, yes one of the purple ones.  Those old Magnas had cast aluminum parts for handrails, casings, etc etc.  Mine were corroded to the point of giant pock marks under the clear coat.  I did allot of research and bought a grinder and several sets of polishing wheels with the solid compounds that come in bar form.

You load the compound into the polishing wheels then polish the parts, first with a coarse compound and then with fine.  Its a simple two phase approach.  Within an hour I could take the ugliest part and make it shine like a mirror.  Its amazing stuff, and I rather enjoyed the work.

You could send me a simple part and I could shine it up for you and send it back.  I still have all of the stuff.

Lester
1982 Vision - heavily modified
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
2002 Honda Interceptor
2006 Triumph Sprint ST ABS

67GTO

"You could send me a simple part and I could shine it up for you and send it back"

You mean like the engine? :D
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

YellowJacket!

Quote from: 67GTO on September 24, 2008, 10:42:40 PM
"You could send me a simple part and I could shine it up for you and send it back"

You mean like the engine? :D

LOL GTO, you beat me to the punch on that one.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

Screw a bunch of clear coat !  I stripped mine off in '02,  I polish the cases and all other aluminum once a year and it stays shiny very well. I'm not about to apply more clear coat  to parts that i worked at to get the stuff off. British and Italian  bikes had polished cases with out clear coat and were easy to maintain.
Rick G