News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Design ideas for Cafe Vision's saddle...

Started by Lucky, September 03, 2008, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

First, I know i should fiberglass the ass end of the seat, but i suck at that...

Out of curiosity, & a small split in Cafe's seat showing up today, i swapped, temporarily, Cafe & Tourers seats.

first thing i noticed, is that because Cafe's bars are turned way down, & my custom seat is slightly lower, there was a much more natural feel to the bars, i'm not leaning over them.

i like the looks, & the color pattern matches well enought, but i think i might go for a different pattern of the sections or materials, maybe something that continues the lines of the bikes panels.

whatever i do the back of the seat won't be higher than the tail, that part i don't like at all!

i'm open to ideas & sketches of a new saddle for this bike.  like the first one, i'll do the foam & shaping myself & have the cover professionaly sewn & stapled.

Thanks, --Lucky

</img>

</img>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

louthepou

Hey Lucky, true to café racer style, something minimalist, like the one on this bike?

http://www.caferacermotorcycle.com/uploads/images/210996136.jpg
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

bmac68

After looking at the seat from the tourer on there I would suggest just making another one of them.  Then, "clip" the back corner off.  Basically the tail section line would continue all the way up to the top of the seat right about where the black welting is right next to the gray section.  That would make the rear section look longer almost like it was covered with a cowl.  A little hard to describe but I can see it in my mind.  Just my first thought.

-B

vadasz1

Hey Lucky, what is that brown stain on your tourer seat? Did you have a diarrhea attack at high speed or what?
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Lucky

I knew someone would have a comment on that..  that stain is from me failing to leave my leather work gloves in my office, so they were in my back pocket on the way home one day when the heavans opened up.  i haven't found anything that will remove the dye..

Bmac, I understand your point, that is a given, i just want another pattern, i have ideas in mind, just gotta get 'em on paper...

Lucky

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on September 04, 2008, 12:57:22 AM
I did a sketch with a grab strap:
</img>

Hmmmm.  That looks really good.. If you do it up and don't like it, we can always put it on YJ.  :-)

I have a spare seatpan and foam if you want to experiment.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

yeah, i would love that! the black seat looks terrible on Tourer.  if your in the area, could you drop it off at Ace?

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Lucky on September 04, 2008, 12:57:22 AM
I did a sketch with a grab strap:
</img>

Corbin put out two basic saddles, the "Gunfighter" and the "Gunfighter and lady".  Your drawing is more like the former, your touring seat is based on the latter.  Basically the difference was whether the seat had a passenger section or was smoothed out like you show.

This is the gunfighter style for the Buell.

Brian (I didn't make up the names...)

Night Vision

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

I think that happened when he copied the drawing. :o

David

Tiger

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 05, 2008, 05:43:20 AM
I think that happened when he copied the drawing. :o

David

::) Naa, he's got the side cover on inside-out!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Its Lucky's troubleshooting method.  He works everything backwards to find out what is wrong.  Literally knows these bikes inside and out.  ;D

David

Kenny

Dave we call that Reverse Engineering at my work location especially when you take civilian aircraft and start adding Military hardware.
    The seat you have drawn is exactly the same(minus the strap) as we had purchased from Corbin in the late eighties,it was for me but it screwed up the seat to footpeg relationship for me so Dorothy used it on her 83. The back end tapered portion was all foam - so you could still sit on it if required.
                        Ride Safe Ken S.   
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Kenny on September 12, 2008, 11:36:12 AM
  Dave we call that Reverse Engineering at my work location especially when you take civilian aircraft and start adding Military hardware.

Ohhh..  I want hard points to mount rocket launchers on my Stinson :-)

skipa82

You guys are just too much  :D :D :D :D :D

Anyway I do like the way you have designed the one you have completed. The only change that I would make would be to taper the rear down; or if you plan to carry a passanger to cutout a small seat well for them.

I have been playing with a similar design myself, mostly trying to create a little back support for me without disrupting the lines of "Lilly". Your seat looks as if it has done that. All in all I like it.

Skip
"What would life be without monsters and Visions" Lilly Munster 1970's tv show.

Lucky

the seat is taller in the back because on Tourer, there is a luggage rack that sits above the tail, the seat lines up with it. it fits on Tourer, but looks bad on Cafe'..

jasonm.

the latest design is nice. Just put the strap for real use....that is a strap?  I have 2 spare pans and an a new travelcade cover and a gel pad. And have been toying with the same idea as ...Lucky.  It's either put some Gel into a seat and use the travelcade cover or design something myself.  Also, where do you get quality foam for such a project?
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kiawrench

aww c'mon lucky----
     rip out the foam,toss the pan, stick on some duct tape and ride like you stole it !!
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .