News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Look what I did!

Started by Tiffanator, September 09, 2008, 03:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiffanator on September 12, 2008, 04:16:02 PM
Dave... oh its scary enough every time I walk into my shop and see the big storage bin with hoses and cables sticking out where 90% of the vision parts are stored.  :o However, I know all will be ok, cause I labeled everything well when it came off the bike and have photos to back it up... I hope.   :-\

Just remember that smaller parts go to make larger parts.  Those larger parts go to make even bigger parts.  Keep following this path until you have a motorcycle, and make sure you don't have any leftover parts you can't account for.

Brian (who spend a full day trying to figure where a bolt came from, it was a spare from the shorty turn signal stalks)

Tiffanator

Brian... yes, absolutely. I tried to take off all the "major" components as a whole. Then I take each of those and break it down into its components and so forth, rebuilding each component one at a time then reassembling it. I make sure to label everything and lay pieces in order of how they came off, then take a pic. I have sheets of paper laid out with all the washers, dust seals, etch from each side of the front wheel. I have them labeled as "side with speedo" and "side without speedo", then have each bit labeled as 1, 2, 3... and so on. THEN took a pic of that.

Ok, so now I bring (kinda) good news! Gasoling soaked rag vs rustoleum professional produced a slight loss of glossiness, but no bubbling, cracking or copious amounts of paint rubbing off. So I'm going to continue with that route, since I already have 2 full coats on the frame. YAY!  ;D  I will NOT, however, be using the rustoleum method for the plastics. I will be going with a quality 2 stage paint, possibly from House of Kolor or PPG.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

kiawrench

tiff,
i started that route on my hot rod V -- ended up just saying FI and painted everything with truck bed liner-- flat black   
i killed my bobber project bike,,, missed something in the rebuild ,, didnt waste the time to figure it out,, junked all of it ,, built the bedliner ride from the take off stuff. my silver V is in shop frame up resto,, powder coat frame ,storm gray ,wheels -storm gray, tank is also powder coated ,storm gray . matching the plastics will be the hard part, but guy says he can do it. going for the euro look, all storm gray, then "off side" spray on pinstripes in elctric blue - this one will be retired into area bike shows and fund raising poker runs-- 
have new project bike , am going to complete a 1st edition FAZER  the fzx700s series,,, looks like a v max, runs like a r6--- faster than most stock bikes and way way too loud . got my first ticket ever on that thing today   "excessive show of acceleration ,noise ordinance violation , and broken headlamp bucket  "   all due to not paying attention .    lucky is only fines, no points .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .