burned shoe bottoms

Started by don_vanecek, July 31, 2009, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

So, lovely night here in the midwest last night, talk the wife into going to the extension office garden walk on the Vision, about a nice 20 miles down and 20 back. Get there and then I see why at one point she was wiggling. One of the passenger pegs was not down, so she just used the muffler to put her shoe on, the wiggle was her getting the peg down when the muffler was melting the bottom her shoe off! AHHHH-there were several times she could have told me that it was not down before it started to melt the bottom of her shoe! 

So, anyone got an idea how I can get the burned shoe rubber off the chrome of the muffler???

Hate to really get upset with her, it's rare I ever get her to take a ride (maybe just as well as I don't have proper gear for her) she is a good passenger however.  It sure was a nice evening for riding 75 degrees on the way down, 65 on the way back, very nice!   

Tiger

:) Hahahahaha...The heal on my wife's right boot was resting on the MAC's, the first time I took her out...we didn't know until she dismounted at my parents place and...aaaaaaaah, a big wad of rubber was stuck to the muffler :o I removed most of it using a new razor blade...veeeeery carefully!!! and then used gasoline on a rag to remove the wee film that was left ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

yup, what tiger said, but rub the cooled off rubber with some ice cubes first
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

I wonder if upside-down canned air would work...

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

Kojo

I had the same problem when I had a friend on the back of mine. He put his shoe down on top of the muffler instead of the footpeg.  :-\ I just used fine steel wool, cold water, and a little solvent. After that I gave it a little buff with a soft clean rag. It comes off eventually.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Kevin

Don, spray a little oven cleaner on a rag and dab it on the melted plastic, let it set an hour and wipe it off.

kwells

don't use oven cleaner.  It will damage chrome and does not react to plastic.  It is designed for carbon based residue.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

don_vanecek

Thanks for the help guys, a razor blade pretty well took care of it. I WILL check the passenger pegs next time the wife goes with me-AND see what kind of shoe she puts on!