Protective gear... what to wear

Started by Kiwi, July 18, 2009, 01:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

Well, i got my license.. and the bike actually starts now...
Time to get some protection before i get on this thing.
I got a helmet, a Bell Apex (i'm a bell dealer so i got a SWEET deal :) )
I figure the motorcross gloves i use for mountain biking should be decent to start off with, and i think my hiking boots will work well enough.
I am mostly worried about a jacket.  It is currently 100+ degrees here in TX, so venting is important.

Any brand suggestions?, features to look for ? etc.
I'd prefer to buy local so i can try the stuff out, but any good website suggestions are welcome.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

h2olawyer

A Joe Rocket Phoenix is a decent armored mesh jacket.  You can get a liner for it you can soak in water and have the evaporative cooling effect keep temps down.  You can also get matching mesh pants.  There are other manufacturers that make armored mesh - Firstgear & Cortech come to mind.

I hate heat.  When I'm riding, I normally wear a one piece leather suit - fully perforated on the front.  Underneath, I wear some silkweight REI wicking long underwear.  I stay pretty comfortable up to the mid 90s (F).  If I had it to do over, I'd get a two piece suit so I could get more comfortable when stopping at a restaurant or other stopping area.

For colder weather, I have Fieldsheer jacket (with removable insulation) that sort of vents OK.  I also have Fieldsheer pants (armored).  Both are waterproof but get too warm for me above about 70F.

Take a look at the Dennis Kirk site - they have most brands & styles available.

Just meant as some ideas - not intended as an endorsement of any kind.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

The Prophet of Doom

Feel free to post special Bell helmet pricing here  :angel:

Kiwi

For the bell... Got to be a vendor.  If you happen to work at a bike shop... Then www.3point5.com
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

funkamongus

Well, KidJedi??? You hooking us up r what?!?!?!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

rhpaw

From my experience.. GO TO A STORE!!
I have some gear. More gear than I wear. I have this gear because I bought it online and noone seems to agree on a standard of what a $@#!# 42 is.
Icon is one way,
Joe Rocket is another,
Technic.. who the hell knows what they're smokin...

All the major manufacturer make really good stuff. It all comes down to what you like, what feels right and what you're willing to pay.
Go to a few local places, try on what you like and see what works.. TAKE NOTES.
Then, come back to the trusty inet and see what mfg X has to offer on sale for product Y (or my fav, last years version of Y)

I have a Joe Rocket leather I bought online about 5 years ago. I bought it new and paid 120$ because it was last years..
It's a 44, it fits like a glove.
I'm 5'6, 155lbs. slim.
I have a Teknic leather 42.. I swim in it and it sits in the closet. >:(
Icon jackets look super small to me.
This Technic jack of my dad's is a 42.. still too big., -should be a 40

Deals are found online, but not worth it if the crap doesn't fit. Do your homework local, and don't rule out the local store as being the best deal.
(spoken from an internet addicted shopper)
I will never buy gear sight unseen again. There's no good reason if you major in a major suburb.

that being said, I like motorcyclesuperstore.com and newenough.com
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

h2olawyer

Agreed about trying on the gear - if possible.  For the helmet, it is absolutely critical!  However, the shops around here have very little choice of gear.  The only leather I can find in Ft. Collins is of the cruiser variety. I bought my suit online as well as the Fieldsheer cordura gear and the AlpineStars SMX-4s.  All fit well.  I did my homework and called the seller of the suit for more information.  The sleeves are a bit short for me, but that would likely be the case for anything not custom made.  (I have 'ape' arms.)

Make sure the vendor you choose has a good return policy and if something doesn't fit, you can send it back for a better size or a different brand.

Motorcycle Superstore and New Enough are great sites & have good reputations.  I got my boots from Kneedraggers.com and my leather suit came from MotorcycleCloseouts.com.  They were fantastic to deal with and knowledgable in how different items fit.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Foe a helmet, I have a SPARX.  Was low priced but quality was very high and the fit is great.  Wind noise is also very tolerable.

My riding Jacket is a Joe Rocket Meteor.  Although it is a canvas jacket with all the padding, it breathes very well and is tolerably comfortable when I'm riding in 90 plus heat.  It has a great removeable liner that pretty much makes it a 3 season jacket.

I use timberland hiking/work boots and I have a pair of Olympic 3 season gloves with removeable liners.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

careful about mesh jackets and high temperatures.... you can actually dehydate quite quickly.... drink plenty of fuilds
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Quote from: Night Vision on July 18, 2009, 12:23:48 PM
careful about mesh jackets and high temperatures.... you can actually dehydate quite quickly.... drink plenty of fuilds

Actually, I prefer water to 'fuilds'.   :D  ;)

Good point.  I have a 100 ounce Camelback hydration bladder I fill with water & ice before any ride of more than an hour or so.  I keep it in the tankbag and run the hose out where I can get to it easily.  With a 90 degree adapter before the bite valve, I can just barely use it while wearing my Shoei.  The HJC had a lot more room in front of my mouth.

H2O

RadRacer

Check out www.newenough.com

I bought most of my gear from there; it's last years items for a discount.  They also give you sizing charts for just about everything they sell, and they seem to be very close.  I picked up a Teknic jacket that fits me perfect, by following their charts.  I also got a set of gloves that are the right size, without ever wearing a pair before.
~'97 3.8L V6 Camaro~   Cam'd daily driver
~'83 Yamaha XZ550RK Vision~   Cruiser :)

Rick G

I've had my cold weather jacket for nearly 10 years. It's a Tourmaster, size 48,full length. I am impressed with it today as I was  when it arrived . I bought it online and lucked out, it fits fine , i just can't put on any weight! LOL. It has armor , great ventilation and a removable liner. If you ride in colder weather this one is great . In April '04 I rode from  Salem OR to Port Townsend WA. in a cold rain storm (Hey , its the Pacific north west!) Its the best 150.00 i ever spent, it was listed at 350.00.
Stayed comfy all the way.
Recently, I bought a used Joe Rocket , that's shorter and lighter, it has armor , but no removable liner. Its more suitable for summer. I wont ride with out gear even in 116 deg. Road rash hurts.
My last two helmets have been the same make and model, i was that impressed with it. It's an M2R , with removable, washable liner and great ventilation , its quiet too , minimal wind noise. I bought it on line ,since I already knew my size in their product , It was a yearly closeout for 62 .00 including shipping.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

I just returned from a 4000 mile trip (not on my Vision) from San Miguel Mexico to Pike's Peak, then the Four Corners area for a Norton rally and return. It was over 100 degrees on both trips across Texas. I wore a silver-grey Cortech mesh jacket and silver-grey Fieldsheer mesh pants with Feldsheer mesh gloves. I'm a little leary of the gloves but they are really a lot cooler than leather and they offer at least some protection.
I carried a Gerbings electric vest which I wore in the mornings in the mountains but never had to plug in.
I have a Nolan flip-front helmet with all sorts of vents that don't appear to do anything. I can never tell if they're open or closed. The sun shield works very well though.
I wear Sidi boots which are very comfortable after I put Dr. Scholls liners in them.

In hot weather I use the old trick of soaking myself with water every time I stop and tying a wet bandanna around my neck. Every 150 miles I stop for fuel, hit the restroom, drink some water and a Red Bull, eat a little something (Candy Bar or twinky), soak myself, and get back on the road. I rode from Del Rio TX to San Miguel MX doing this last Tues. I left at 7AM and got home at 7PM. It's 700 miles so I was moving most of the time.

Art

Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

kwells

x2 on newenough.com.

Bought my jacket from them.  They even have a ton of bargain basement deals if you have to be on the cheap.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com