News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Mac exhaust. I think I've had enough (well maybe not)

Started by zore, September 13, 2008, 10:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

I have to say, that I was a little aprehensive at buying a mac exhaust for this bike.  The stock exhaust was still in great shape, but I wanted a little more sound.

Well, I'm sure you all remember my first post on the subject with them not fitting.  The second fit was marginally better.  During my ride home yesterday, the bike all of a sudden started to make a ton of noise.  Exhaust fell off, or so I thought.  Turns out the flange of the rear pipe broke off.  Mind you, I bought these new 2 years ago. 

Thankfully I own a welder and I can fix it, but still.  If you stock exhaust looks good, please keep it.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

zore

So I took it all apart and started to clean it all up.

What you see there is the broken flang resting on the rest of the pipe.  This stuff is really thin.

Did I mention I have some pretty decent mig welding equipment?  Shame I don't have any mig welding talent.  I guess welding once every 2 years isn't enough to acquire any skill.  This is probably my worst welding I've ever done.  I'm almost embarressed to post the photo.

This is the exhaust looks like after 2 years of use.  I had started painting the lower pipe with some high heat paint I had laying around but didn't have enough to finish.

And finally the half arsed paint job and it's back on.

I had used some high temp clear coat on my monster exhaust a few years ago and that came out really nice when it was done.  I'm not to happy with this finish so I may redu it down the road.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

YellowJacket!

They must have changed the materials that they use in the last few years.  My Macs are several years old and while there was some rust pitting like on yours, the walls on mine seem to be much thicker.  During my recent mac restoration I did quite a bit of sanding and apparently mine were heavilly powdercoated, but the rust cleaned up good.  I used hight temp manifold paint on mine which looks good and has held up well.  I also used the fiberglass strand (feels like soft nylon thread) packing and packed them pretty good and they sound quite nice now.  Not too loud but not quiet either.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

My first set were nearly new (I got them from Ron  Ghetti in '99 or 2000)  and lasted well , until in 2003 , when I  dropped the bike  in Pudding Creek and bent the exhaust so badly, that the only salvageable parts were one baffle and the front head pipe. My second set came from a junk yard , in 2003, via eBay , and were very rusty, I used them until 2007. I acquired a better set along the way and installed them the last time I had the engine out of the frame .
All were pre 2002 manufacture , so may be their thinner now. Mine do not show the pitting your do.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

zore

I'm going to be looking for something to replace it with.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

zore

Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise.  I had ordered all new gaskets for the rear pipe and front pipe but was just too lazy to install them.  It may be my imagination but after welding the pipe and installing all the new gaskets, the bike is running better than ever.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

Quote from: zore on September 17, 2008, 03:06:20 PM
but after welding the pipe and installing all the new gaskets, the bike is running better than ever.

It's your "built like a tank" welding expertise....

YellowJacket!

Quote from: zore on September 17, 2008, 03:06:20 PM
Perhaps this was a blessing in disguise.  I had ordered all new gaskets for the rear pipe and front pipe but was just too lazy to install them.  It may be my imagination but after welding the pipe and installing all the new gaskets, the bike is running better than ever.

Discovered that same "phenomenon" after removing the obstruction from my pipe.  YJ hauls donkey.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)