Gloom, Despair, And Agony On Me! Deep Dark Depression, Excessive Misery!

Started by joevacc, September 17, 2008, 09:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joevacc

I have had this exhaust leak that has been getting louder and louder for the last couple of months.  Last night after I got home from work I went to the shed to get an allen socket and a ratchet to go over all me exhaust bolts.

It sounded like it was coming from the back and the rear header bolts were a smidge loose!  Great I thought that's it!

Psyche - the top of my cross-over can has a 3 cm x  5mm hole in it.   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Now What???

I have to check my parts bike but I know the exhaust on it is beat.

-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

h2olawyer

That sounds like a possible application for one of those 'muffler bandages' available at auto parts stores.  It might work as a quick fix, allowing you to get in any important destination rides you may have coming up soon.  Then, when you have more time, you can take the mufflers off & have a plate welded over the hole for a more permanent solution.

Interesting place to get a hole - has your battery been draining onto it or something like that?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

Wow.. sounds like this rear pipe disease is catchie.  I just had it last week (see my thread on the topic)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

pullshocks

Mine also had holes in the crossover plenum.  The mufflers seem intact, but the crossover plenum is rusty and riddled with holes.  I am running an 82 set now.  Looks a little funky witht he black pipes going into chrome mufflers, but I'm over it.

Cdnlouie

Oh No! There's trouble in River City!

If you can get to it and put a pick of metal over it with a couple of sheet metal screws or pop rivets, and/or a bit of steel wool and epoxy to make the seal. If you had a nice piece of body repair metal to put over it that is the best.

And of course if you had it off and a nice new plate of sheet metal cut and shaped out beyond the rust zone, could be Mig welded for a great seal.

Of course you know all that anyway.  Now... just how much time do you have?

I wish I could help ya...

YellowJacket!

Leather just listed a pretty good looking set on ebay just a few minutes ago.  See the swap shop forum for the link.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I patched the exhaust system on my '74 Honda XL350 . I don't have a mig welder , but I do have a set of torches and  accomplished  a pretty good repair . This type of repair can be brazed as well, you don't have to get the host metal quite so hot.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

joevacc

Thanks Dave and Rick.

I have not brazed in a long while but did do a lot of it years ago. I was planing on going that route.

I have put a bid on ebay for Leathers exhaust so we shall see.

P.S.  I put JB Weld on the hole and started up to NV's and on to Tiger's on Thursday night...  Made it about 600 miles and it came undone. The noise was not so bad tooling around but after 8 hours of 6500 - 7000 rpm's I am still hearing my motor in my head!   :o
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Rick G

I just love the sound of my MACs at 7000 rpm. Its part of the fun, listening to the motor , at speed.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike