News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

tires

Started by kwells, April 26, 2005, 01:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

I know this has been covered before because I read about it last summer, but I need to replace the tires on my 82 Vision and needed some help.  

What sizes and brands are suggested by youall?

kevin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Walt_M.

How much do you want to spend? How do you ride? That will tell you a lot about what tires you want. I recommend you go to, at least, the std '83 size of 100/90 front and 110/90 rear.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kwells

well being that I havent gotten a chance to do any real riding with it...any tires would be good for me....doesn't have to be super sticky race tires ya know

k

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Kevin -

Finding super sticky race tires is extremely difficult for these bikes. ?Besides, they are only good for a couple heat cycles & then get rather slippery.

Top $$ brands that have ardent followers:
Avon Super Venom
Metzeler ME 33 Laser (front) (Lasertec is a newer model - no feedback yet)
Metzeler Metronic Rear - I believe that's the model - Normally available in a 4.00x18 but not a 110/90/18.
Pirelli Sport Demon - unknown feedback on Vision but well reviewed & looks good.

Lower $$ options:
Dunlop, Continental & Bridgestone. ?Good tires but not highly regarded by most here. ?(Except for Dunlop GT501s - seem very good)

Budget conscious:
Cheng Shin aka Cheap Skin. ?Hi-Max model. ?Decent tire but less than confidence inspiring. ?I'm currently running them but will be upgrading to one of the top names above even though there are lots of miles left on them.

Cheap & avoid:
Kenda & Duro

Do yourself a favor & get the best tires you can afford. ?You will regret trying to save money on tires. ?I've got about 2,000 miles on mine (about 3/4 tread left) and am ready to get rid of them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Blake

I was running the cheng shin tires and was always scared to lean it over some.

upgraded to Avon super venoms with 1/2 tread left.  BIG difference.  will defiante spend the extra cash to get these tires again.

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

kwells

I have ordered a manual but not received it yet.  What are tire sizes for the front and back?  I will start looking around for a good tire distributor.

www.wellsmoto.com

ProfessorRex

100/90/18 front 110/90/18 rear
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

harry_angel69

Tires are what hold you to the road in a turn.  Never go cheap.   Good tires will save your life.  Maybe not this time but sometime.  

Avon Super Venoms are like glue compared to the Metzlers that were on my bike when I bought it.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

fiddlesticks

We got Avon road runners on V1 and Bridgstone battleaxes on V2. I prefer the avons big time.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Superfly

Dunlop GT501's are really good, and do not kill the wallet.  I was in a crunch, and picked up a set, and was very happy.  I had a set of Metzlers, and liked them alot also.  Have not tried the avon's, but that will be my next "matching set" I get.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

kwells

where did you find your Avon's?  Anyone had good experiences with online distributors?  Send the URL on and I'll check it out.  thanks

Kevin

www.wellsmoto.com

ProfessorRex

Check around locally ask what they charge for mounting/balancing if you buy from them, and what they charge if you bring the tires.  Often though they charge a little more for the tires, it's even after mounting/balancing charges.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

harry_angel69

I purchased my tires form an online store that was posted by H2O.  That post was the middle of last summer.  I will see if I can find that information later.
Don't tell me about your "gonna do" projects.  Just do it already.  I don't want any coulda, shoulda, woulda in my life.

jasonm.

Having had 2 Visions in the garage at the same time. One with Avon's , the other w/ Metzs'. The Avon's are the ticket to the best ride overall. Avon , I paid $120 for the rear w/ mount and balance. The front I got a deal on M.A.W. online $60.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

MotorPlow

I have always been happy with Soutwest Moto Tires for mail order (http://www.swmototires.com/).  My local shot charges $15 to mount and ballance if I remove and bring the wheels into the shop.

~Chris F.

Rick G

I have a set of Dunlops on mine  and only poverty prevents me from changing them right now !  Any of the three versions of the  Cheng shin  alias Chicken sh*t  tyres  are better than thers things .  One of the problems  with the CS tyre, is that they are 3 ply and VERY soft if not inflated . such as  the result of running over a broken bottle  and the ensuing  rapid deflation. Which can cause  an "exciting moment"!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike