News:

Main Menu

stained exhaust

Started by Kevin, September 21, 2008, 10:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

If your mufflers have rubber melted to them from passenger's boots, you can spray easy off oven cleaner on the chrome. Let it set for a couple of hours and wipe everything off.       

h2olawyer

Excellent tip!  I had some of the nylon from my riding pants melt to my exhaust a few years ago.  Happened while I was filling the tank in Kernville, CA.  I tried everything I could think of that would remove the stuff.  Still have some staining on the chrome.  Will give it a try!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Kevin, was that on the set I sent you?  I actually think that was some of the skinn off Lucky's shins on them.  LOL!
Back when they were on my bike and Lucky and I were doing some tuning, he leaned against my pipes and .....Ouch!  Got scalded.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kwells

super fine steel wool will as well.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Better be real fine steel wool so you don't scratch the chrome.  I didn't want to trust that option.  I did try bug & tar remover, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, softer plastic scrubbing pads, Goo-Gone, Simple Green and I don't remember what else.  Got most of it with the bug & tar remover, combined with a soft plastic pot scrubber.  I have a self cleaning oven, so I don't have any oven cleaner on hand at the moment.  Will give it a try this week, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

yah as long as you get the XXXX fine wool it will be ok.  Done a few exhausts now using that stuff.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

One thing I've always wondered about steel wool -- why don't the sheep rust?   ;D

H2O

Rick G

I've used 4 ought steel wool , many times to remove a wide range of stuff from chrome exhaust systems , very effective and doesn't  deterorate the chrome at all.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: h2olawyer on September 21, 2008, 11:49:08 PM
One thing I've always wondered about steel wool -- why don't the sheep rust? 

Ever smell a sheep?  They have so much oil coming off the skin, they couldn't rust!

h2olawyer

When they're still wooly, it's called lanolin.  After they're butchered & roasting over a spit, it's called tallow.   ;D

Actually, sheep shearers tend to have very soft hands - an oddity in the ag arena.  All the lanolin from the wool really keeps their hands from getting rough and calloused like happens to so many ag folks.

(insert favorite sheep joke here   :D )

I'm not a fan of working around sheep.  I know we've bred them to be stupid, but WOW!  Less likely to injure you than cattle, but much more difficult to herd around unless you have a good dog or two.

There is a wide swath of land that crosses the Continental Divide in the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness.  It used to be (and is still) called the 'sheep driveway'.  The early ranchers in the area would move sheep from the Elk River Valley and ranches farther west, into Moffat County and even on into Utah - over the sheep driveway, into North Park and back.  (The grass hay in North Park is some of the most nutritious in the nation.)  The swath is still mostly devoid of vegitation because those damn creatures (meadow maggots or range lice) stripped the ground bare (elevations exceed 11,000ft. at the divide).  This is true even though they stopped moving sheep over that route at least 60 years ago.

H2O

Lucky

oven cleaner always says on the can not to use on chrome racks...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black