...So, after the dust settled !!!

Started by Tiger, September 22, 2008, 09:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

82dasvision

YellowJacket,
  LOL that's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time!!!.... ;D ;D ;D...I told him NOT to hold his breath on the way up!!
  Dave

BTW - just how many "Dave's" are on this forum

YellowJacket!

I think the original caption for that photo was something about having gas and scuba diving.  I can't stop laughing every time I see it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on September 30, 2008, 10:05:24 PM
Hey Brian....have you photoshopped Lucky's head on his new body yet?

You mean like this?

Lucky3.jpg

And for people who don't get the joke:

Lucky2.gif
Lucky.jpg

YellowJacket!

LOL....the lucky3 is a good one.  ;D

David

Tiger

;) ...and back to the original subject of this thread ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:) After the back problem, I eventually rolled "The Mistress" out from her short term hibernation and took her to the swap meet at Milton last Sunday...via some nice twisty roads.
I have to report that the installation of the '83 front end, complete with the dual brakes fitted with S.S. braided brake lines, new brake pads and progressive springs makes a biiiiig difference to the old girl... 8) I have to learn to be a little less heavy on the braking!!! The twin set up is a huge improvement, it makes the "V" feel more stable under hard braking. The progressive springs get rid of the infamous nose dive associated to '82 Visions fitted with a full fairing and "standard" springs. I obviously refitted the fork brace that I had on the original forks...

All in all, a very positive upgrade to my '82 8)

Please Note: "The Mistress" also has tapered steering head bearings and an '83 rear shock installed to her a wee while ago... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on October 08, 2008, 05:56:47 PM
I have to learn to be a little less heavy on the braking!!!

Since going to braided lines, I also have to be careful of braking too hard.  Unfortunately, it appears my lever needs a little lubrication, it tends to stick just a little right before the brakes grab.  So when it breaks free, the braking comes on pretty strong. I think a short of silicon spray will keep that up.

ironb12s

Ya, a quick fix with bit of silicon spray should do wonders, but a more permanent fix is to dismantle the lever and see where the offending burr is.  A wee bit of white graphite in the joint should keep it pliable.   ;)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Brian Moffet

you'd think after this long (the brake lever is original) it would have worn smooth by now :-)

Tiger

:) Yesterday I took "The Mistress" out to a customer who doesn't mind me turning up in leathers, etc 8). The company is located over three hours out from my place, just north of Peterborough (Ontario), across some great bike road's.
I left at 7.00 a.m, in the dark and in single digit temp's...brrrrrrrr!!! However, the day did warm up some, especially for the first part of the ride home. I arrived in Port Perry at approx' 1.00 p.m. and stopped for lunch at the "Halibutt House"...(great fish & chip restaurant). Just as I was about to leave the waitress gave me another cup of coffee saying " You may as well have another cup as your not going anywhere for a wee while"...???...I looked out of the window and it was pouring with rain, awe bugger!!! I left about 20 minutes later. However, the heavens opened again 5 minutes out and it rained nonstop for the next couple of hours, right up until I ran the "V" into my garage...with me looking like a drowned rat ::) After giving the Vision a quick wipe down and turning on the heater in the garage, I went for a warm up shower!!!

"The Mistress" performed superbly well through all of the variations of weather... 8) 8) 8)

With the Avon tires, '83 rear shock and complete front end, full fairing and other upgrades added, plus regular servicing and maintenance, the Vision truly is a great machine, fun to ride and very reliable... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Tiger on October 09, 2008, 07:16:46 AM

With the Avon tires, '83 rear shock and complete front end, full fairing and other upgrades added, plus regular servicing and maintenance, the Vision truly is a great machine, fun to ride and very reliable... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

I couldn't agree more.

I have an 83 shock ready to put on as soon as school slows down a bit and my "Progressive" front springs are on the way for my 83 front end.  I went over a full month of driving my V (with one exception for my daughters wedding, I had to drive my dads SUV to haul all the decorations).  Totak gas used: about 6 gals!  That would have been 1.5 to 2 tankfuls in my car!

As for the weather you encountered, I'll think about you before I gripe about riding in 45 degree temps in the morning down here now.  That must be a lot "warmer" than what you had to ride in.  ;D  ;D

Glad you made it home safe.

David

Brian Moffet

joevacc

Now here is a test for you!

Now that all of the front end is sorted out go to some dealers and test ride some new bikes...  I mean the real expensive type...

Tell me why a 27 year old bike feels like that and the new bikes while having better brakes and more power don't handle that much better or feel significantly tighter?

I was amazed when I started looking for a bike how great my V is!  :D 8)
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

kwells

I think the V has fast geometry.  During low to mid speed maneuvers it will stay right with the newer bikes.  It is very weak in handling capabilities over 65 or so.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I agree 100% ! On many roads in the Cascades, in OR.  I enjoyed thrashing it , but on high speed sweepers , it didn't inspire the same confidence.
Here in AZ , its a real hoot on Oatman road , with 1st,2nd and a bit of 3rd gear, its as stable  as anything I've ever ridden . But on large diameter hairpins or high speed sweepers , like we encountered on hiway 18 to Supai , my confidence in keeping it headed in the direction I want, is diminished, a lot .On tight to moderately twisty roads its perfect and on straights its only limited, by the top speed and the riders courage.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

joevacc

You are both right of course.
The thing that I have done is to up size the tires and I think that that is all you can do for the high speed sweepers.
That said, The bigger tires and the heavy bar end weights that I installed have slowed down my handling some... I feel the trade off - for me is worth it.

Now that I have the big bike I feel, in comparison to the V, it's slow speed maneuverability is lacking...  So I just go faster now!

;D ;)
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller