Anyone for a solid black windscreen?

Started by vadasz1, October 01, 2008, 12:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

I just got back from my local plastic supplier and they have available SOLID BLACK Lexan.  Not the cheapest of colour compared to clear but not at all expensive.  I have two cut to size sheets on order that I will p/u on Friday, as they don't have the solid black in stock.  And I am making the windscreen about 19" tall compared to the stock screen which I believe was about 17" or 18" tall.

So if anyone else wants to have there standard fairing windscreen made from SOLID BLACK Lexan let me know and I'll see what I can do.  Probably will be about $80 + cost of slow shippment.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

hmmm that might look good on Blackie.  She has a Sport Fairing though.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

vadasz1

kwells: no problem, just scan a paper template and e-mail me the scan or just send it by slowmail to me.  PM me and let me know and I'll give you my addy.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

h2olawyer

How are you planning to form the new sheet to the same contours as the original?  Also, isn't there something about Lexan that makes it less favored for windscreens?  I think it has to do with the sharper edges when it breaks - but i may be remembering wrong.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

vadasz1

Rob, you are thinking of Plexiglass which is NOT recommended for the exact reason you stated.  I already used a 1/8" plywood to make the template and had it mounted to the fairing with no problems.  Lexan is prety flexible and the supplier said there will be no problems of mounting it flat since we have plenty of fasteners holding it down.  Also, once installed you can either leave it out in the HOT summer sun and let it form itself to the fairing or use a 500W flood/work lamp like the ones used by drywall contractors to give the heat required overnight.  I think this is how Tiger mounted his windscreen, in the HOT sun, but he first painted the inside black.

Remeber this is going to be flat so if youwant to really curve it you might look at using the kitchen oven, when the misses isn't around ;D, and set it for the lowest temperature and place the screen on a piece of plywood and then insert it in the oven for about a half hour.  Then carefully take it out and bend it to the shape required and then quickly quech it with some cold water or a very wet rag to shock it into its new form.

treedragon

I'm a big fan of the black look it goes particularly well on a dark bike, (my bikes black), however I had a slightly different approach.

After I lowered/shortened my fairing blade I felt it needed darkening a tad so to get the black look I first lightly sprayed plastic primer on the inside of the screen and let it dry for a day. Then another light coat and dry for a day......... well no I was getting impatient by then so I then got my can of black touch-up paint, (pre-warmed in hot water for the finest mist), and gave it a VERY light even coat and let it dry heaps. I kept on adding fine fine layers until I had the degree of opacity I wanted. It actually looks black from the outside but lets a little light through.

If you are used to using spray cans it is a very effective and cheap solution, with the paint on the inside the thickness of the screen gives it a deeeeep gloss that is different to the tinted plastics but way better than the solid screens on the Cagiva's. I have done it before with success so I figured the savings made could go towards the Tommaselli clipon's.......... which it did and I'm loving them  ;D

No pic's until I complete a few more mods, I have to finish mounting the twin projector beams first along with a degree or two of sculpting in fibreglass  ;D  ;D  ;D

GT @ oh.

I think H2O is right according to Reckon's exp.  He said to use polycarbonate /plexi  not acrylic /lexan may want to look into it first to be sure.

vadasz1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexan

I think this wikipost will explain it all.  LEXAN is polycarbonate and plexiglass is the Acrylic (no,no,no!!!)  So LEXAN is correct for motorcycle windscreens.

GT @ oh.

When I went to Anderson's they had their lexan marked as acrylic. :-\ I looked into the wiki. and it looks like vadasz is right but that either could be used.It says plexi will break into dull peices and is better for outdoor uses than poly. it says that poly is more impact resistant and more expensive. It says you can polish or heat the surface of plexi to get out scratches which I'm going to try.Does anyone know for sure what the originals are made of?

firstone

I just took a look at Gustaffson Plastics web site, theirs are "Acrylic G", AKA Plexiglass...

vadasz1

Look at it this way.  If I were to have a stone get thrown up and hit my windscreen, I would preffer it to be made from Lexan as it is more durrable than plexiglass.  If I were to get into an accident the last thing on my mind would be to worry if my windscreen will survive the crash.  They can always be replaced while we are not so fortunate.  I'll take the Lexan to have the security that a little pebble won't crack or break my windscreen.

Just food for thought.

GT @ oh.

I'm not sure I like the idea of a flat sheet put on vs. a pre form piece ....I don't think you would get the gradual arc that the shield has especially where there are two bows involved......the arc from rt. to lt. with the bow that goes to the bottom fasteners....I've seen where people have done that and it doesn't look so good ....but thats just me being anal probably.