News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

New to forum

Started by 82XZ550, October 04, 2008, 09:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

82XZ550

Hello I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Taylor. I recently bought a 1982 Yamaha vision, I havnt really ridden it yet but it runs great and is a 8,000 mile original bike in very good condition. I am trying to acquire my motorcycle license in Delaware right now, and the bike still needs to be inspected which should be no problem. I might take it out in a parking lot this weekend and try to get a feel for the bike. I have ridden dirtbikes my whole life but this is my first streetbike, I think its a great first bike and I love the way it looks! I just looked and realized that I bought the bike from a member who was recently selling the bike on here, thanks tachrev its a great bike.
1982 Yamaha xz550 Vision

Aelwulf

Nice, welcome and have fun with it. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to your new and extended family...Enjoy 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

82XZ550

Thanks for the welcome guys!
1982 Yamaha xz550 Vision

ironb12s

Ya, and congrats on acquiring a VERY shiny Vision!  If you got it from one of the ROV, you can know that it was taken very good care of.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

kev10104

I was hoping to make it out to the swap meet in Milton today but my bike wouldn't start in the morning.Mornings seem to be terrible for starting it.I'll try again in the afternoon.

ironb12s

Give us the symptoms of the morning no-start, we can likely suss it out for you.  Make it a thing of the past.

Does the starter turn the motor over?  Do you smell fuel? All the lights and instruments working?

Mornings are cooler and wetter part of the day.  Follow that reasoning, probably find the problem in the electrical system.  And wait for the big guns to weigh in on this topic...

YellowJacket!

My routine for starting in the morning:

Twist throttle 3 to 4 times.

Set choke at half

Turn ignition and start button to run/on

Hit starter button

Vision fires right up.

**Cold weather method**
Follow above steps but hook battery up to trickle charger overnight.  For some reason my Vision does not like cold batteries.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

The best thing I did , to guarantee prompt cold weather starts was to install a DEKA sealed battery.  Mine will now start at 29. deg with little fuss. full choke , three twists on the throttle and 1/4 throttle  and it fires right up . I immediately reduce choke to 1/3 and get it off all the way asap.   Warm weather starts require 1/4 choke and one or two twists and 1/4 throttle . This is if it has been setting for a couple of weeks . In day to day use it just starts, period.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

So, the V likes to be "primed" before starting?   ;)

kev10104

All the lights work and when i start it at dirst there is a screaching noise for one or two tries then it starts to turn over.It just won't start.I was up at Tiger's place on Friday and am hopefully going back up Sunday to fix the issue.Tiger says it is the starter clutch problem.The trickle charger might not be a bad idea though.Sometimes I do smell some gas but very little.The starter takes a little time to turn the motor over as well.

YellowJacket!

you may have oil in the starter.  A somewhat common problem for the Vision.

The fix is to drain the oil and replace the starter seal.  There's lots of discussion on the boards about it and I'm not exactly sure what the part number but one of the Vision Zen Masters will probably give you the information.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

:) There are, as usual, a couple of issues here...

The need for the starter clutch "FIX" is a necessity...veeeery noisy!!!

There is NO in-line gas filter... ::)

There is a (faint) possibility that the starter may have to come out for a once over... :-\

We will know better next Sunday...eh Kev' ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Rick G

Kev , if you can't get the starter to turn it over , next Sunday, arrange for a stout lad to give you a push. My starter clutch failed , after a stop , on level ground . I was alone so I did a run and bump (first one in nearly 40 years )  and actually succeeded in starting it , how ever the engine was warm. Best have  a pit crew, if it needs a push.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

well that was definately good for a laugh because the pit crew I would have to use is my neighbors who are well into there 70's.A little exercise never hurt anyone I guess.Like Tiger says we will have a better idea Sunday and hopefully everything is grand after that.

82XZ550

Quote from: kev10104 on October 05, 2008, 10:51:41 AM
I was hoping to make it out to the swap meet in Milton today but my bike wouldn't start in the morning.Mornings seem to be terrible for starting it.I'll try again in the afternoon.
Milton Delaware?
1982 Yamaha xz550 Vision

Tiger

Quote from: 82XZ550 on October 12, 2008, 09:38:29 AM
Quote from: kev10104 on October 05, 2008, 10:51:41 AM
Milton Delaware?

:) Nope, Milton, Ontario. Canada... 8)

kev10104

The family gave thanks to Tiger today before thanksgiving dinner because he solved my starting problem.Apparently there is less cursing around here.Thanks again Tiger.