News:

Main Menu

Just an ignorant retread!

Started by hermit, October 22, 2008, 10:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermit

Hello all;
What a wonderful forum!  I still amaze at how the internet can bring so many like minds together from all over the world.  I just recently signed on and have spent the last few days pouring over old posts, the tech columns, photos, and spent a few hours reading through the "tips and tricks" essays.  I guess I'd best explain my position and why I'm here.  No, I don't own a Vision, actually I don't even own a motorcycle and it's been 20 years since I last did.  But now that the kid has gone off to a place of higher/lower learning, my state of health has improved, and I happen to find a few loose $'s in my pocket (and I mean a FEW!) the bug has bitten.  Bitten hard.  So hard in fact that even amidst the hectic life of  packing for a move to a new local (and change of Province by the way) I find myself browsing Kijiji, the Buy and Sell, and Craig's List multiple times a day looking for something that I can afford and that may serve the distant memories of what I would like a bike to be.  Locally there hasn't been much, it's not a big place, but searches around the new to be home have brought up a miriad of possibilities including a bike that I had never heard of, nor ever seen, a Yamaha XZ 550 Vision.  Which led me here.

The basics of my search were for a 500 to 750cc bike that could serve well in city driving and parking lots yet have enough substance that if I decided next summer to tour a bit could handle the highway comfortably.  Something like a Silverwing.  Remember I'm no kid anymore and haven't kept up on bike technology at all since I sold my 79 Honda 750.  The other perameter was price, around $1200 or less and I would have some fun doing the repairs any $1000 bike is going to need this winter.  So far I've seen one Silverwing GLI, nice bike, bad owner, no deal; a 1978 Honda cb750, guy wants too much; a Yamaha TX750, very cool bike, won't run, very cool bike, bad reputation, very cool bike, did I say very cool bike, a s**tload of work for $1000; and a Yamaha xs400, too little me thinks.  Tomorrow I'm off to see a 1983 Honda Shadow 750, for $700 maybe the best deal yet.

Now before you linch me for HERESY, when I stopped at the used motorcycle dealer (in the province I'm moving to on a quick trip last month) to see the TX, there sitting in the showroom was a black, very unique motorcycle with a vee front to back twin engine and a very tacky flame paint job on the tank.  I had to look.  1982 XZ550, price $1895.  11,000kms, and it looked to need nothing.  Way over the budget so the initial look was about all I did and then continued my trip.  My internet search also continued, even getting so far as to talk to a fellow in Alberta about a Suzuki T500 and a fellow in Saskatchewan about a BSA Shooting Star, did I say really, really cool bike!  Alas, both sold too fast.  Now for some reason the little black Yamaha kept creaping back into my consciousness, very odd, I mean it didn't have wire wheels, certainly didn't look comfortable to sit on, where's the flat seat?  It doesn't even have ROUND GAUGES!  And that weird frame!  Not at all what I thought I was looking for, and yet, there was something there that wouldn't go away.  Better find out more. 

Now I wind up here, re-discovering the world of bikes, dredging up memories of the safety course, and with the hope that some of you may put up with my ramblings and give direction.  And answer me this--------just what is a Yamaha XZ 550 Vision?  Should I seriously be considering upping my budget somehow and buying this bike when my original intention was to find an old XS650 to restore, wire wheels and all.  I see lots of pics here with Visions decked out in touring gear, yet it sounds like they are just about right for more local jaunts around town and even some sport riding if I get brave again.  I'm a little hesitant about working on it myself, this is NOT your average simple to fix motorcycle by the sounds of it.  Or am I wrong?  The looks are growing on me, kinda reminds me of a Beemer.  If you noticed my avitar, that's about how I feel right now, bemused, befuddled, and seeking the light of knowledge.  Hah, 20 years of education in a day, a bit much huh.  I've learned alot of that back in the few days here, reading, regaining confidence that I'm not over the hill to jump on two wheels again, so be amused that because you have such a wonderful site here, you've become the chosen ones to lead me right.

I still may end up with something other than a Vision, but this forum will continue to be a daily haunt till you kick me off!

Doug

P.S.  Did I mention that the Shadow is not at all what I was looking for, but that the TX was really cool!!!!

h2olawyer

Welcome to what we feel is possibly the greatest group of friends who, for the most part have, never met!  The Vision is a different bike.  Unique in its day and its styling has held up well over the years.

It does have some issues that have mostly been sorted out by the folks here.  I have had stator issues worse than normal, but I'm the exception in that case.  Every problem that was cited in the magazines when the bike was introduced and those that have arisen over time all have cures.  Not generally difficult, but different than many other bikes.  The downdraft carbs must be cleaned thoroughly and kept that way to avoid stumbles.  The tiny forks can be braced, the front brake can be improved with braided stainless lines, etc.

As for what type of bike it is, that's kind of hard to define.  It is a great do many things well ride.  It is a fantastic commuter, easy to handle in town and parking lots.  It carves canyons well, and, as Kenny can attest, is a great long distance tourer.  Some things are hard to change - the shaft drive makes gearing kind of set in stone unless you can find some euro spec gearing for example.

It is a 550 with a very wide powerband.  It has decent grunt from idle to 5500 RPMs, then around 6K, it becomes a real screamer up to 9500 RPMs.  The double overhead cams were fairly uncommon on bikes back in 82 and to have more cams than cylinders was quite unique.  It was ahead of its time in many ways and taking that tech leap meant some teething problems.

Now, its 30 years down the road and time, mileage or both have taken their toll on these bikes. Anyone with average skills can get the Vision running and looking great.  Most of us find it a labor of love - Tiger is now reworking his 9th Vision!   (Not sure if that's love or a psychological disorder, though  :D ).

We're biased here, but I say buy a V.  It may be a love / hate relationship until the bugs are worked out, but that era of ownership is well worth the hassles after you have a fun bike that you just don't see very often.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

Hi Hermit, I'm and old bike wrench and worked on the bikes you mention.  TX750's had some problems and were a two year wonder , I wouldn't buy one as an only rider. Suzuki T500 titan's were , are great bikes, but are two strokes in and era of four stroke engines. The Silver wing is one generation behind the Vision, not my first choice. The 750 shadow  is OK, but wont run, stop or handle with the Vision. XS 650's were a great bike with a long run , but they are also one generation older and vibrate like hell , you will need to get off and scratch every so often. The Vision is nearly vibration free , thanks to its balance shaft.
I bought mine in '99  and fell in love . I run the crap out of it and it stands up to it very well. Once you get the weak spots addressed( all bike have them) its all down hill from there.
One final reason to get a Vision is this forum, you will have the benefit of the learning and counsel  of the 1000 people who belong or have belonged to this group.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

Hi Hermit.  I can't speak on the other bikes but I bought my Vision as a learner I had planned to wrench on a little then sell when I bought an upgrade.  It wound up being a fun l'il bike though with a good group here for support so I've kept it even after I bought my cruiser.  It's a good bike.  It won't compete with modern bikes for horsepower but it will pop the wheel in first and second gear if you twist the throttle.  It's a lot of fun in the curves and decent on mileage.

That being said even if the one on the floor looks like it doesn't need anything it likely will need some things such as the starter clutch bolt 'fix' you can find a fair bit about here, it'd likely be wise to coat the tank unless you're one of the lucky ones whonever does and never needs it somehow.  Maybe one or two other things, but so far none of it has proven too difficult for me and I don't have much prior experience wrenching.  As for the price, even considering the low mileage to me it seems high for an '82.  But I also don't know what the exchange rate is right now.  I'd toss a guess maybe $1,000-1,200 USD, and that'd have to be for a really nice one to me (at least from a dealership).

Good luck in your decision, I'm sure some others will have some more detailed input.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

don_vanecek

Welcome, I bought my Vision brand new in 1984, I wanted a nice mid size bike that was not real heavy but had enough power for some fun, I wanted to be able to ride to it work everyday and to be able to take an occasional trip with. It does all these things. I put more miles on my Vision each year now then I did back in the late 80's.

They seem to be quite rare here in Nebraska. I think most would agree that for $1895.00 that is abit high or it better be an almost perfect bike (and one they will stand behind for a few months)!

There are certainly lots of nice bikes out there but for the mid size range the Vision was a great bike in 1982 and for its class still is (am I biased)!  

dj

Welcome to the board.  I have owned to Visions over the past few years, although both have been sold to another member here.  My first one I bought around 3 years ago and was a constant struggle with it.  Wrench on it for 2-3 weeks and ride it for a week, and repeat all season.  I picked this one up for $800.00 it and looked great, but had a lot of hidden problems the previous owner didn't disclose.  Many issues with the wiring and the carbs.  Got most of them straightened out and then out of the blue it just wouldn't start.  Never got it figured out.

The second Vision I bought was for $200.00.  It was a really ugly all black bike, but it had the full fairing from the 83 model year.  Swapped a few parts from the first bike on it and had it running pretty good in less then 4 hours.  Rode it as a daily driver for the full next season and had a blast with it.  Even took it up to Northern Maine for my annual camping trip.  It wouldn't keep up with the larger newer bikes in the straights, but they had nothing for it in the corners.  It was a great bike and I sorely miss the full fairing.

This most recent riding season I lucked into a great deal on my father-in-law's 82 Honda Magna 750, and couldn't pass it up.  I've riden it most of this year with only minor problems, nothing that kept it from running (at least during the day).  The rear light (running light portion) doesn't work (wiring issue).  Over all the Magna is a better fit for my body, as the V was a bit to tall for me.  I'm 5'9" tall, but have fairly short legs so the seat height on the V was just at my limit to safely be able to control the bike at stop signs/lights.  The Magna has a lot more power then the V did, but it is not as fun to ride.  Doesn't corner as well, but it is more comfortable for the really long rides I take about once a month during the riding season.  Although with out the fairing I take a pretty bad beating if I'm on the highway, which I try to avoid but there are a few times that I have to go the highway.

The main reason I sold the V's is because I don't have a garage, which made wrenching on them a real pain.  And I only have room on the porch to store one bike, so it was bye-bye V's.
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

George R. Young

I owned a Vision for 20 years, bought new in 1984. It's a great bike with smooth, adequate power, shaft drive, comfortable seat and good handling. Put on over 100,000 km as a mini-tourer.

That said, there are some reliability problems. Starter oil seal with no lip spring allows it to fill with oil. Mufflers tend to rust out. Stators die every 5 years/25000 km.

After that, it's your decision.

hermit

You guys have a great passion for this bike and from what I've gathered, well deserved.  I am coming to the conclusion that I would enjoy owning one, perhaps not the flame bedecked one as it is out of reach financially and would most likely be sold by the time it was, but there's always the next one.  I've fought off the urge to buy the first thing I see just to get rubber under me, and also realize that whatever I wind up with may not really be what I want once I get riding next summer.  At this point I'd certainly like to try a Vision to see if my concern about the riding position for longer trips is justified, I'm not a big guy.  The Shadow is not what I want but may be a means to an end and in the meantime if anyone knows of a Vision for sale in western Canada.....................

Many thanks, the story will continue
Doug

Brian Moffet

I've owned my Vision since it was new.  I bought it when it had 10 miles on it, from a dealer in San Jose, CA.  Most of the miles I've put on it are commuter miles, with some long trips (around 1500-2000 mile round-trips).  It's a great bike, and I don't seem to have had some of the problems other people have had, though I think the use of mine was a lot more consistent than most of them out there.  It's also an 83, so that might have some upgrades to it that help.  I don't tend to leave it screaming in the high-RPM range, usually I'm around 5500 or so.  I rarely go above 6000 unless I'm accelerating.

Having said all of that, a new bike is tempting.  My butt fits this saddle a little too well :)  But that will have to wait until we have more money.  Until then, I ride it, and drive my 1987 RX-7, that I've also owned since new...

Brian

xswheels

Welcome hermit. I understand your situation. I joined this form a few months ago with the thought of wanting to understand this Vision a bit more. Did I even want one, or perhaps something different. Like yourself, an XS650 is what I was looking for, but the more I studied this oddball Vision the more attraction it held. I just bought one three weeks ago and have put less than 100 kilometers on it, and the biggest revelation for me is that it does not feel like a vintage bike. In 1982 it was leading edge technology and still fits in today as a suitable ride. The 1982 XS650 is sixties technology, so looks and feels vintage. Like others have said the Vision has its foibles, but if you like to tinker this could be the bike for you.
I have seen pics of the flame tanked vision online and it is my thought the price is too high. Dealers always want top dollar for their bikes. Be patient and find one from a long time owner.

Tiger

:) Welcome to our ever growing family my Canadian compatriot... 8) Its a shame that your not a wee bit closer to Ontario!!! I'm just at the point of sending back #9 to her original owner and acquiring #10, which will be ready for a new home before Christmas... :o 8)

Number one came to me 3 1/2 years ago, after 20+ years without owning a bike, from a customer of mine. Since then I have become a wee bit of a collector/restorer and new home finder for Visions here in Ontario...Several Ontarian ROV members have acquired their Visions from me... 8)
These are a terrific, fun to ride, head turner of a motorcycle to have. They are as reliable as anything of its period (better than most!!) out there. In the ROV you have people who have, for the most part, a genuine love for the "V" and will help you with just about anything Vision connected.

Doug, go find your Vision... 8)

8)........TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Hermit, watch Craigs list in the closest big city to you, as well as Canadian eBay, news paper adds too.  I have noticed several V's in Western Canada and the Pacific Northwest  as well . Remember the hunt is half the fun, why else would  Tiger have a string of V's ?
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

Western Canada doesn't narrow it down very much but if you are anywhere close to Seattle, they turn up here pretty regularly.

hermit

Hey Tiger, yah it's a pretty big country.  I'm in Prince George, BC at present, on the way to Medicine Hat, Alberta, so I'm getting closer! ;)  PG is about 10 hours from anywhere, so the pickings up here are scarce, finding a bike in Edmonton or Calgary, or even Vancouver would be a major trip and a PITA.  Once I get to the Hat, at least Calgary is only a few hours away.  So I will continue to check the lists, the "flamed" one is in Edmonton which is on the way, and I can always look at it again when the time comes if it's still there.  I sat on the Shadow today, haven't heard it run yet (the battery was dead), and it felt odd being so low so maybe my concerns about the Vision seating is just one of my neurotic fantasies and I would fit it well. 
Doug

inanecathode

If you can tell your ass from a socket wrench and can turn a few bolts without getting frustrated and bursting into tears, you could easily fix up a vision. The real cool part is they never really break in ways that are almost impossible to fix (read tx750 top end). Its always stupid neglect problems like rusty tanks, dirty carbs, things like that. Once they're running, they hardly ever break down, and if they do its not generally in a way that'll leave you stranded.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

I'm not a big guy either , 5'9 1/2 , but pretty close to 4 feet around  the middle , with a 29 inch inseam , all the same I manage the vision fine . Its my XL350 Honda's, 33 1/2 inch seat heigth  that kills me, still I enjoy riding it .
keep you eyes open, and once you get your Vision (you are going to get a Vision, arn't you?) Keep your eyes open  for a parts bike or two. Part of the secret of any old bike, is your own spare parts source. My first parts bike was 125.00  the most expensive 200.00 many were free. I'm riding a free"parts" bike right now!
Rick G

hermit

Yes, I am going to buy a Vision, someday, I have made that decission thanks to you guys.  But it could be awhile by the looks of it.  I even stopped in for a visit at the local Yamaha place to look at helmets and other miscellaneous things that I'm going to need, had a nice chat with one of the fellows there about all sorts of things motorcycle related, jackets, helmets, oil, gloves, and of the course the XZ.  Said he thinks he remembers one being around 5 or 6 years ago, maybe.         Oh.  Hmmm?  Guess I really do have to move.

Anyway, the search will continue but in the meantime I did buy the 750 Shadow today.  I'M A BIKER AGAIN!  Even managed to ride it from the driveway across the lawn and into the backyard without dumping it and after 20 years of not even riding a bicycle to me that's a success. ;D   So the spit and polish will come out over the winter to keep me busy and get my head geared to spring riding while the search goes on.  It's kinda funny, I always wondered why so many owners have not 1, but 2, 3, or more bikes in the garage, but after 6 hours of ownership (and 3 months of looking) I already seem to be headed to owning at least 2!  The Royal Enfield would make 3, the CX500 would be 4, the BSA...........
Doug

Kenny

Many Welcomes  Doug,
   Are you from B.C. or are you working in Prince George, I was out to my former Province this past August (Grande Forks -Nelson- Nakusp-ect) on the Vision. The Odomete turned over to all "00000's" on the way back to Trenton,a place called Caron, Saskatchewan.
  We had a small ceremony a ways up the TC1 which included a coffee,tank of fuel, and another rain shower.
   I head out to B.C. every year in the late summer or early fall ,this past summer my major mechanical problem was a blown fuse,I was back on the road again in 10 minutes. I'm confident in this bike it hasn't let me down as of yet (no stator 's either).
    If you have the chance pick one up -they're a lot of fun :D.
                                       Ride safe Ken S. ;)   
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

hermit

Hi there Kenny;
Actually I'm from Saskatchewan originally, but have beem living in BC for the past 15 years, now I'm heading back to the prairies to Medicine Hat.  Have a plan to build a solar powered house.  I know Caron, and Caronport well, there's a service station on the highway right by the Bible College that used to be a "MUST STOP" for anybody passing through because of the restaurant.  Not quite as good as it used to be, but as of last year was still there.  I must admit, there sure isn't much else there except wind!  Next time you're down the TCH I'll be in The Hat, so stop in and say hello, maybe I'll have a Vision by then.  I tinkered some with the Shadow today, more to start a list of things that need to be done than anything, but at -5c it sure didn't want to start very well.  It did go after a charge and I even rode it around the back yard a little, for such a big thing I did ok and the old feelings are coming back fast.
Doug