I thought it was a great idea......

Started by vadasz1, October 28, 2008, 11:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vadasz1

As I was driving home yesterday I stopped behind an Infiniti FX, I think it was a 2007 model.  Well when his LED brake lights came on I was just about blinded.  Then the thought came to me on how those LED rear lights would look like if they cam be modded to the rear assembly.  The lights are extremely bright so you WILL be noticed when braking and a modulator will make it even more noticeable.

Well today I phoned a dealer and asked how much for the rear LED brake light assembly (with the clear lens) was.  I sure am glad I was sitting down at the time.  The parts guy said that they are $677 each.  So a left & right assembly will cost about $1354 + TAXES.  Hell that's about twice as much as a Vision is worth.

Oh well, back to the idea board.  If any one has any ideas for some tricked out LED brake lighting for the Vision, please reply.  Would be great if the brake and signal section were different colour LED's.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

can always search ebay and junkyards if you still have ur heart set on it.....even they will want hundreds tho.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

It would be pretty easy to fabricate a board that would sit inside the turn signal itself.  Each LED is about 1.3 volts, so put 10 in series and you're golden.  I thought about it but decided I didn't want to do the fabrication work.  Since LEDs are bright enough to begin with, you don't need the back reflector that's in there now.  You could even run 30 smaller LEDs, and have 1/3 of them on as running lights, and then the other 2/3 would kick in on turn signal time.  You could set it up so that the 1/3 were red, and the other 2/3 yellow making a nice orange. :-)

You would have to swap out your turn signal relay of course...  With a little work, you could get by on about 10 bucks per turn signal I would think.

Brian

YellowJacket!

I get several MC catalogs that sell the LED bulb assemblies and they are only a few dollars more than regular bulbs.

Are you sure he didn't think you were talking about the HID headlights?  That price is more in line with the cost of HID's than LED's.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

vadasz1

REar lights that go into the rear quarter panels.  We were on the same page unfortunately.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Night Vision

after I got rear-ended (my license plate that is) at a red light.... I was looking for something...

me and Jason picked up these at Americade... nice and bright "running light" ... really bright brake light that flashes for about five seconds then goes steady on if you hold the brake on....

we got the non-sequential one since that crazy sequential one is illegal here as are spiral or rotating flashes...

I use it all the time when I'm stopped at a light..... I flash a car coming up behind me just so they see me more...

you can buy one here... I'm sure there are other places on-line and similar products...

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Night Vision

;D

Aelwulf

There's a company that makes custom LED applications, think it's Custom Dynamics?  Might be able to e-mail them and see if they'd be willing to put something together, an LED board to fit in the stock location.  If not you can have custom LED strips made by 'em of length and color of your choice (IIRC).

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

zore

Quote from: Night Vision on October 28, 2008, 09:47:18 PM
oooh... they have a good price on a Kuryakyn LED battery gauge too!

http://www.customdynamics.com/LED_battery_gauge.htm#Kuryakyn_LED_Battery_Gauges_and_Chargers_

Mine lasted all of about a year when the first led burned out.  It would be the important 12-14 green one.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Blake

If you're handy with electrical work (picking out resistors, transistors, circuits, etc) I can give you a circuit to build your own using some superflux (super bright) led's.  I have it all somewhere on my computer.  You have to take apart the rear, make a circuit board fit, solder in the led's, make the circuit, etc.  in reality not all that hard to do, just time consuming.  I think all the parts cost me about 50 bucks total to do the taillights on my car.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

vadasz1

Hey Blake.  If you don't mind please send me the info to my e-mail: pendli.r@sympatico.ca

Blake

Quote from: vadasz1 on November 05, 2008, 10:04:02 PM
Hey Blake.  If you don't mind please send me the info to my e-mail: pendli.r@sympatico.ca

sure thing.  give me a couple days as i dont remember what hard drive i have all my info on.  I'll make you a nice little semi-diy.  I have lots of pictures to go with it that'll make it a lot easier to visualize/see.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

vadasz1

thanks Blake.  I'll be waiting with my coffee in hand.... ;)

jasonm.

Joe Vacc and I went riding one day. All he could say about the light I installed like NV shows, which is on my trunk , it's "something no one could miss". I installed it because my trunk tends to cover the stock light. And being on my trunk it's 7" higher than the stock light, its nearly eye level with 90% of the cars out there. It's damn bright  day or night and has a wide viewing angle. Some leds don't have a "wide viewing angle".
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

vadasz1

Jason if you don't mind send me a pic of your trunk and the light on it.  Possibly with the brakes on and off to see the comparison.  A video of the transition would be even better.  But I'm not a begger. ::)

Night Vision

Robert, go halfway down this page and there's a vid of the light in action

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

the vid is kind of long getting to the flash and difference in intensity, but I don't think you'll get a better idea without actually seeing it...

I would say this $30 saftey item is money well spent....

I put mine on the end of my K&G rack , maybe three or four inches higher than the stock light....

it's kinda like when they came out with the third brake light on cars....  people notice something different... for awhile
;D

YellowJacket!

I think I'm going to put a couple on my saddle bags.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

jasonm.

I have a KG rack also. But found it easier to put it on the trunk. If I was to remove the trunk I would do as NV. I have just put the bike into hibernation...so no pics anytime soon.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules