AZROV Benchracing; Carbs

Started by Coil Coyle, October 28, 2008, 12:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

Rick,
        It was nice to sit in your shop and visit before our ride to Oatman.

You mentioned that you were getting rebuild jobs that had jets that were corroded in and impossible to rebuild. Which jets have given you the most grief, Rick? My mind lost the information. ;D

I could make you some drill bushings pretty easy if you thought it would actually work.

ROV,
        Have any of you tried a drill bushing in the carburetor hole, drilling the corroded jet for an EZ-Out or to tap drill size for re-tapping?

???
Coil

kwells

I've never retapped the jet holes...but have used drill/ez-outs to get the pilots and mains out.

The mains generally come out better since there is more to grab but that brass doesn't hold up well to any sort of real torque.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

The pilot jet, recessed  in the bottom of the carb,  can be a problem. If soaking it  with  a good corrosion removing product  for  three days  doesn't work, then  a reverse   drill is the only hope  and that sometimes  just screws it up worse.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Kwells,
         Did you use the reverse twist EZ out or the straight square taper kind?

:-\
Coil

kwells

actually I've used both.  Have broken off the square kind.  That particular carb is now strictly for parts.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Coil Coyle

Copy that.

Thanks for the warning.

;)
Coil

motoracer8

Try this, it has worked for me at times. Strip the carb of all of the parts you can remove, then put the body into boiling water, let it cook for a few minutes to get it up to the water temp, be ready with your tools, as carbs are thin castings and cool quickly. Some times warming the body will expand it just enough to remove a tight or coroded part. 200 deg. water will not damage the carb. Do not heat it with a flame, Carburettors are made of a alloy called Zamac, that will distort or melt with too much localized heat, don't ask how I know. Also if you have a drill press handy you can drill out the center of the jet untill just alittle more than the threads is left, this will reduce the  internal pressure on the threads and the remains will sometimes come out.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Blake

I took a cheap screwdriver i had, ground down the sides of it so it would fit in the hole, and ground an edge on it to make a quasi cold chisel.  Not too sharp though, just enough to dig into the jet.  that, a BFH tapping on it for a few minutes to get a good bite, and clamping some vicegrips to the handle to give me leverage while leaning on the screwdriver (poor man's impact wrench) finally got mine out.  obviously couldn't reuse it.  That might have been one of the happiest days of my life :)  that little sucker had been teasing me for years, refusing to come out.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Rick G

Sometimes it works , Blake , some times the galvanic weld , plus the mineral build up is insurmountable . I did a set for Motor plow , 5 or 6 years ago and the pilot jet  refused to come out, it was part of the carburetor.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Blake

Quote from: Rick G on November 04, 2008, 09:32:21 PM
Sometimes it works , Blake , some times the galvanic weld , plus the mineral build up is insurmountable . I did a set for Motor plow , 5 or 6 years ago and the pilot jet  refused to come out, it was part of the carburetor.

Oh i believe it. just got mine out a couple months ago after trying probably 1-2 times a year the past few years.  Just got lucky this time.  no wonder it ran bad.
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Coil Coyle

Motorracer,

Thermal Expansion! Thanks for the tip, I'll try that first.
Gratefully,
;)
Coil