News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

My perfect tyres........... ahem

Started by treedragon, November 02, 2008, 01:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

So today was another run with the Ducati boys, 1098 S's, 748's, assorted Monsters, 999's, etc etc and me with new tyres front and rear. it was 500k's of corner heaven suitably sprinkled with high speed curvies and flat out straights (followed by me playing catch up in the twisties). Memo to self: must get onto the engine work, (and/or lose weight).

I realize there are a lot of preferences mentioned in the forum but I hadn't noticed this particular combination so thought I would share the experience, it went like this:

No matter what I threw at it or threw it at, I could NOT fault the tyre combination for grip and edge to edge, foot dragging, stability no matter what, at any speed the bike could do eg 15k hairpins to 180k sweepers. Up and down through the gears pinging off the redline like a mad thing and not a single butt clench the whole way, it was a GOOOOOOOOD day  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

"and these wonderous tyres" you ask????  well...........
an IRC Durotour RS 310 100x90 on the front and a Shinko 10SR 712R 120x90 on the rear (Shinko bought out the Yokohama compounds and tread patterns I'm told), a nice round profile that comes into it's own when it has warmed a little.

Hardly cutting edge and they are cheap.

I've had IRC's on the front before and could not get them to let go wet or dry so that was an easy choice, but the Shinko's.......  I ummmed a bit on that one so my friend just went ahead and ordered me one in anyway. As it turns out it was the rear that made the heap of difference. The whole caboodle is coming together nicely - close in clipon's, lowered front, lowered seat and tyre profiles that work.

Yes very pleased I am.

jasonm.

Nice to hear a non-expensive set up is good. My combination of the new Avon Road Rider 100/90 on the front and Metz LAsertec 120/90 from last year on the back make a quick steering  & stable in corners bike. That never feels uneasy to lean and holds a line like on rails. Turns are almost telepathic. The front made the difference from good to near excellent. The Avons also are not expensive $75 US. But the Metzs are very expensive $120 US.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

supervision

I just noticed a new Cont. tire called a Conti Go,   they are in sire 100 and 120, priced 77 and 97  , they look very sporty. might be worth a try
" border="0