Anyone have a hardware list for full fairing?

Started by bmac68, November 05, 2008, 11:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmac68

Hi all,

So I have spent some time this summer tracking down parts to put a full fairing on my '82.  I have the upper, lowers, two mirrors, wire harness and the mounting brackets.  Now I need to get together a list of the hardware for mounting it all up, and I guess the install instructions.  Does anyone have this info handy?  I'm hoping to have it all installed along with my new saddle bags for when the spring melt is done hear in MN.

Thanks,
-B

h2olawyer

The best source for the information is the parts diagram on the Yamaha site.  The fairing is shown with the 1983 Xz550 diagrams.  Kind of hard to see some of the parts, but they're all there & you can decide which "options" like the rubber wiring boot and bracket you want to find / use or how you might make a suitable replacement as I did.

The info is probably on Lucky's disc as well, but I haven't searched for that particular stuff yet.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

I think that is on Lucky's DVD/CD.  I believe he found some documentation on installing the full fairing on a late model 82 Vision and includes it.

Brian

h2olawyer

Thanks, Brian - I had already completed the installation before I got Lucky's disc.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

hey bmac...was that you that beat me out on the Black NOS Virago bags?  I ended up getting the silver ones.  Not bad.  Got a set of NOS Virago XV750 Hard bags for not very much at all.  Theyre silver, so I'll eventually paint them black, possibly yellow, depending on how they "flow" with YJ's color scheme.  Yellow would make them look like pollen sacs.
Anyway, if that was you, then you/we ended up getting some great deals!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

bmac68

David,

Not me.  I got a new set of soft bags from redline sports in Canada.  Motopac 60's, $87.00 shipped.  They were just the right size and I knew I would be able to mount them without a lot of time doing mods.  But hard bags would be better I think.

H2O/Brian,

I'll have a look at the Yamaha site and if that does not show all the harware sizes etc.  I guess I'll be ordering a DVD from Lucky.  I was just hoping somone had a list of all the bolts etc. that I could take with to the hardware store.

The Prophet of Doom

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: bmac68 on November 06, 2008, 12:49:44 PM
I'll have a look at the Yamaha site and if that does not show all the harware sizes etc.  I guess I'll be ordering a DVD from Lucky.  I was just hoping somone had a list of all the bolts etc. that I could take with to the hardware store.

There is a full parts fiche for the fairing on the power plus parts site http://www.powerpartsplus.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx- just dial up Yamaha : motorcycle : 1983 : XZ550RK on the selector, then choose fairing.  Neither this, not lucky's CD will help much if you are going to a hardware shop though, all you get is a yamaha part number.  I don't know of anyway to translate these into bolt specifications.

There are about 300 parts in the fairing - more than most people could be bothered checking by hand.  But you can use this fiche to ask questions about specific parts you are unsure of.

If you have an XZ you will still need Lucky's CD or a Haynes manual anyway.  I find the CD better as I can print manual pages out for the job I'm doing, and don't have to worry about getting XJ juice all over them.

Brian Moffet

I think, if you look at the part number, the size is embedded in it.  So for an example, part number for a bolt: SKU: 97016-08016-00
is an 8mm bolt.  I know it was talked about a few months ago here, perhaps someone can find that link?

Brian

Found it:

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/zindex.php?topic=5782.0

YellowJacket!

Quote from: roro on November 06, 2008, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on November 06, 2008, 10:01:51 AM
Yellow would make them look like pollen sacs.
David
Or giant testicles

LOL.  I need to quit reading ROV while I'm eating breakfast and drinking my coffee before I ruin another laptop.
Good one!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)