News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

1/4 mile times ne body?

Started by GT @ oh., November 06, 2008, 06:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GT @ oh.

I know what the times are on specs. but there mpg seems off so..... has anyone ever ran theres down the track to see......those with aftermarket exhaust systems may get better times I'd think.....any other perfomance improving ideas?

don_vanecek

Good question, I don't know that anyone has ever posted an actual ride down the strip. Unfortunately with the Vision's short life span I don't think there were hardly any speed parts for em either (such as cams, overbore kits, etc).

I always take the magazine tests with a grain of salt, these are experienced, expert riders, on new machines that they can beat the crap out on em for a few hundred miles.  BUT, I suppose if the same riders are testing the varies machines, is does give you some comparison (sort of like EPA mileage figures, uh?)

h2olawyer

When I bought mine, I remember seeing an ad in the back of some bike mags for performance cams.  That was 1984 - lots of years (& brain cells) ago.  It was a small ad, more like a classified in size / style, bit it was separately boxed.  Also, there was some info here in one thread that led me to a custom cam grinder who had the XZ550 listed among the cams they will rework.

I have some timeslips that came with Tractor from the previous owner.  I'll see if I can find them.  The track was a portable system setup either on a back-road or an airport near Montrose, CO.  Elevation around 4,000 ft.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

I have the May 1982 "Cycle World" that says the standing 1/4 mile time was 12.93 sec at 98.79 mph.  I didn't have the courage to break the seal on my Jan 1982 Cycle World to see if they said anything different.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I think it was J&L that had pistons to take it out to 650cc, but there long time gone. I don't know what Memphis shades is using.
Cycle World tested the vision again, in a 4 bike comparison , but wasn't able to do much better that 13 and a quarter seconds.They suspected a ringer the first time.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

GT @ oh.

I see putting a aftermarket turbo kit on bikes is catching on.....possilble? If it could get times down to say high 11s might be worth while then.

xswheels

Quote from: YellowJacket! on November 10, 2008, 09:03:39 PM
.  I didn't have the courage to break the seal on my Jan 1982 Cycle World to see if they said anything different.
How long have you had this rag? I too have a lot of old bike mags, but none still under the cover. Don't you get the urge to treat yourself and remove it from the plastic, open this virgin magazine to the Vision test page, and be the first to read the article. Hey here is an idea. Set up a camera and film yourself breaking the seal and reading the Vision test so we all can enjoy the delectation.

zore

Quote from: GT @ oh. on November 11, 2008, 10:29:56 AM
I see putting a aftermarket turbo kit on bikes is catching on.....possilble? If it could get times down to say high 11s might be worth while then.

Or for the price of a turbo kit, you could just buy a newer 600.  :)
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

kwells

or a 675....I think I know where u could get a slightly dinged up one
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

zore

If it wasn't for the extreme pain associated with it, i would be laughing really hard right now.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

GT @ oh.

Will a 650 break into the 11s?.....did the turbo seca get into the 11s?....I'll have to check no only12.6s

zore

There is lots of variables that go into 1/4 mile times.  My m900, at 390 pounds with fuel and 86rwhp was only able to do low 12's.  12.1 I believe.  The xz is pretty heavy, is shaft drive and doesn't put out an amazing amount of hp.  I'd guess 45 at the rear wheel.

Part of the problem with my m900 is that it's got a load of torque all over and I had no way of planting it for the first 60 feet or so.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

don_vanecek

The October 1983 "Cycle Guide" I keep at the office shows a 13.059@103.32 for the Seca Turbo, it shows 13.422 @95.23 for an 83 Vision. This issue just happens to be about the five fastest bikes at that time, fastest was a Kawasaki GPZ turbo at 10.839@122.95, fastest speed same bike at 145.07. Certainly fastest enough to scare the s--- out of me but a far cry from the 190 mph super bikes of today. That 750 turbo would be a collectors bike today.

Again, has anyone actually ran a Vision down the strip?

In the real world of speed limits, traffic, lights, etc, I have always found the Vision to have more then enough get up and go, I don't think some of us would even keep bothering with these bikes if they didn't.

GT @ oh.

The V is not really a good canidate for turbo.... it has high compression pistons 10.5 I believe....its just that 13s are so slow for a motorcycle...oh well.....Theres not a lot of bikes doing 11s theyre either 9-10 sec rockets or 12-13s heavyweight cruisers

Rick G

Of coarse you have to consider the Vision is 26 years old. It was fairly quick for a 550 in 1982.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

it's pretty nimble if some curves are introduced. In a straight line you want to lose some weight to get an advantage. I can hang with an 1100 ZRX when it's twisty so I know it has just enough power to still be a threat. 
I hope to build up a motor this winter with some high compression pistons, springs, and cams.  A shaved down flywheel should give me some fast revs too.  Not really the answer you're looking for but next summer I should know some more info.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

A lot of how quick the Vision is , depends on the rider, 95 % of the people I ride with can't come close to keeping up with this 66 year old rider on his 26 year old bike, ( I did a bit of production road racing in my youth, sort of the equivalent of  to days track day) Having said that , the CArov guys  had no trouble filling my rear view mirror  on their last trip down. When the youngsters make comments like "that old guy really hauls ass"  or "that bike is really quick " it really massage my ego ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D As you get older there are more and more things you don't do, as well as you used to and I'm not nearly as quick as I was 6 years ago, but its nice to be able to still do something competently.
Rick G