Off season work...

Started by Tiger, November 08, 2008, 07:12:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Sadly, we are coming to that time of year were some of us have to start getting organised for the winter lay up :( :'(

...but hey, this is for the OnROV, Canada right and this is the time to do all and any: Paint jobs, up-grades, repairs, fiXes, serv~ce work, etc... ;)

I know that I don't have to much to do to "The Mistress" this off season... :P

However, I do need:

* A new back tire to order and fit...Avon of course ;)

* I picked up, at the Milton swap meet a few weeks ago, another set of (slightly bigger) hard bags that need a paint job (wrong colour) and fitted to "The Mistress"... 8)

* An oil/filter change, to get rid of the "nasties" that float around in your engine oil!!!

* Drain the gas tank of fuel (containing additives) and refill with fresh gas and fuel stabiliser

* A good wash down, dry and polish...before putting the cover over her, slapping her a$$ and turning the lights out...Good Night ;)

NOTE: "The Mistress" is parked all year in my garage and always hooked up to a float charger, when not in use. During the winter months I have an oil filled, electric radiator switched on to keep the chill off and extra heating when I'm working in the garage.
Every week/other week, I fire her up, get her up to working temps for a few minutes before shutting her down.
When spring arrives, I change the oil and filter again, install a new in line gas filter, spark plugs, check tire pressures, etc and we are back riding again...roll on spring time, eh!!!

Sooooo, what have YOU got to do to your Vision this winter ??? Your New Years resolution maybe... :o ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

I'll probably flush the master cylinder since it's been two years since I rebuilt the front brake system...

if I get really bored, I may check the valve clearances... it was 10k miles ago when I adjusted them...

that's about it... except for... 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Ron_McCoy

Ride it all winter long, as usual.   ;D ;D ;D

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

What Ron said.  Though mine will be commuting to work...  And getting my headlight adjusted correctly...

Brian

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on November 08, 2008, 10:57:19 AM
Ride it all winter long, as usual.   ;D ;D ;D

I'm thinking of that too.  Gonna look at some cold weather gear.

1. Mount Saddle Bags.
2. Swap out 82 monoshock with my 83
3. ?
4. ? - I'm sure I'll find lots more to do.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Ron_McCoy

Mine commutes every day. Well I rotate between the two Visions, the ST, and the BMW.  35 miles on various types of roads. 28 degrees when I left Wednesday and Thursday. The first 10 miles are a great twisty road. Of course its the last 10 miles on the way home. 

Aelwulf

Maybe get one of the tanks cleaned & sealed.  Paint said tank and some plastics to match if I'm lucky.  Hopefully finally get the head bearings done and maybe if lucky new Progressive fork springs it needs.  Aside from those the carbs needs a work-over.  We'll see how work and time on the Meanie interfere. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

I've got the Sta-Bil in mine already.  Plugged in & sitting.  Not sure if I'll do an oil change as I did one with the last stator about 50 miles ago.  It's sat for much longer with much worse in the crankcase.   ::)

I plan on getting the 83 fuel system finished up this winter and have the fairing & 83 tank painted.  Plus, I'll likely get a new windshield for it, too.

Then, probably in February or March, I'll get busy putting Tractor back into riding shape and try to sell it later in the Spring.

I'm done riding for this year - unless we get a stretch of weather I just can't miss.  While I've always been a night owl, the telescope has made me go even farther that direction lately.   :D  The 'newness' will wear off and it will become a several night a month hobby, but until then, I just can't get enough of the night sky.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I ride all year too, If its too cold , I leave the Vision in the shed and ride the XL on errands around town and the occasional jaunt across the desert , on pipe  line roads and old mine roads. Even at 38 or 40 degrees, its ok, I'm not going that fast  and the sun warms the air a bit. last year I used a very thick set of insulated gloves, that made it difficult to hang on to the grips. this year I'll install my hippo hands and use a thinner set of gloves. Once the sun starts to duck behind the Cerbats, tho, its time to get home.
I'll usually ride the Vision in late December , and change the oil , although I usually get it out  every two weeks for a spin, either to Oatman or down to Bullhead , I just have to get motivated to put all the gear on.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

I found my list from last winter.  With the infamous metal object in the oil pan and then the running like crap fiascos, I did not get to all of them.  I'm pretty burned out on wrenching so I'm going to just ride when weather permits and get back to the list eventually.

Starter bolts
POR15
SS brake lines & go through calipers and master
Roller bearing headset
Blade fuse box and go through wiring
Volt meter
Valve adjust  (is this as hard as it looks?)
Progressive springs?
Touch up paint on frame
Brackets  for bungee cord & soft luggage straps
Fiberglass repair on fairing lowers
Home made heater vent latch
fork seals

Aelwulf

Stealing yer list to modify... :D

Starter clutch bolts
Starter rebuild & oil seal replacement
Tank repair & Caswell
SS brake lines
Go through calipers and master-Guessing this means tear down and rebuild?
Roller bearing headset
Blade fuse box
Go through wiring
Voltmeter
Valve adjust-Huh?
Progressive springs
Eventually strip down to sand and repaint frame
Saddlebags
Fiberglass repair on panels, paint current set as spares
Fork seals (Think these were done in Colorado?)
New tires
Do carbs/get 'em done again
Front wheel bearing replacement (hopefully done right :o )
Overall cleanup-Partially done, engine's kinda shiny again at least

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)