News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

won't run under load

Started by steve, November 10, 2008, 02:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

Okay, so I just put in a new starter clutch and it starts right up (after sitting for two weeks, waiting for parts).  It idles a little slower than before but it does idle okay and if I twist the throttle it runs up the rpms just fine.  However when I  go down the street so it's under a load, the rpms drop right off and the bike wants to stall.  Is something stuck in the carb?  Did I do something wrong when I reassembled the bike?  Please help!  I'm not sure what to look for.  Thanks!!!!! ???
Steve
'82 stock vision w/47k miles

Coil Coyle

Hi Steve,

Try running in prime to eliminate the vacuum diaphragm petcock being unplugged vacuum.
Do both cylinders run or is one dying? You had the ignition pickup wires flopping around while you were doing the clutch.
The cloth covered three that come out by the shifter shaft.
Get back to us what you find.
$0.02
;)
Coil

YellowJacket!

I had a similar problem with mine.  It turned out to be a kinked fuel line.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

steve

Thanks, guys.  I'll be able to look at it tomorrow and I'll report back. Maybe it's just cold and wet outside and, like my dogs, the bike just wants to go back to bed where it's warm!
Steve

steve

Okay, so on Wed afternoon I looked at the vision.  First I looked at the right side for any loose or bad wires or any hoses that look bad.  Nothing.  Then I looked at the left side. Nothing.  I started it up and it ran fine.  I went for a ride up the street and it ran fine.  Maybe Coil was right or maybe its a full moon.  I don't know!  Today I rode it to work-about 50 miles and it works fine. Anyway, thanks for the input and keep riding! :P

Coil Coyle

How does that windshield work in the rain, Steve?

We just had our first rain worth riding in, one that washed the scum off of the pavement. I'm back on the Flying Pig because I look so silly ducking behind the bubble on my Vision.

Enjoy the ride, hope to see you next year.

;)
Coil

steve

The windshield works pretty well since you look over it as you should.  It blocks wind up to head height and since its wide, it protects the hands from cold weather very well.  I didn't get to ride in that last set of storms we had because I was waiting for the starter clutch on order.  I usually avoid rain if I can but I do get caught a few times every year.  Going home every night in the dark is less than ideal and to do it in the dark and rain-I just can't see well!  Today, I rode to work in sunny 55ish weather and I almost feel guilty but it sure is a pleasure.  The bike still works well too!  I filled the tank last night for $9.80!  My truck would have been a whole lot more!
Steve
p.s.  My Dad turned 86 today! 

YellowJacket!

yeah... gas hit 1.94/gal here in Knoxville TN today.  Some surrounding counties are as low as 1.60/gal!!

Happy Birthday to your dad!!  ;D  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

steve

Ouch!  I was feeling really happy about $2.36 a gallon! 
The temps today are in the mid 80's and I've seen probably about 100+ motorcycles out riding around.  How I love California!
Steve