remove rust of gas tank?

Started by Serch, November 18, 2008, 01:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serch

How can I remove the rust from the gas tank?

I read some time ago that a fluid removed that rust, someone has proven it? it works?

Thx, Sergio
Excuse my poor english. I'm spanish!!

Rick G

Removing the rust isn't the whole answer,  the tank needs to be coated to stop the rust from eating a holes in it.  POR 15  or Caswells are two products that work. They have complete kits that clean the tank and prep it for coating. Don't use kreem.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Serch

I think that this product is for use external. I need remove the rust inside the tank.

-POR15 (I think that with this product I have to paint)

-Caswells, Is this http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/ I can view this product:
Evapo-Rustâ„¢
Fertan Rust Converter
FeDOX Rust Remover

Which is correct of this 3?

My idea is to fill up the tank with one of these products. What you buy? Which is easier to use?
What works best? Break the gasket of petcock?

Thx, Sergio
Excuse my poor english. I'm spanish!!

kwells

you will definitely need to remove the internals of the tank [fuel sending unit and/or petcock] before doing this process. 
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

phosphoric acid is usually easy to obtain and is mainly what is used in the POR15 kit to REMOVE the rust.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

POR 15 does make products for external applications , but what you want is for coating the inside of the tank. Caswells is for the inside too.

POR 15 is a slow process but is not that hard if you follow the instructions . I seem to remember that the instructions came in Spanish as well.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike