News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Engine Stand Adapter

Started by Coil Coyle, November 10, 2008, 02:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coil Coyle

I bought an automotive engine stand at the local flea market for $10.00 a few years ago. This week I welded an adapter that is pictured at the link below.

Materials were what was laying around the shop;
3" x 1/4" angle
1 1/2" square tube
1/4" x 2" strap

I created the design to allow complete disassembly of the crankcase while supported on the stand. I wanted a stand for complete rebuilding at a nice chair level.

To attach the adapter to the engine I tapped the rear case through hole to a 14mm x 2.0 pitch thread and the front support lug to a 12mm x 1.75 thread. There is a register cast into the two hole that allow about 25mm of thread and then the hole taper to a larger diameter. Since I only needed a reasonable alignment I just aligned the tap visually and got the best alignment with the center that I could.

This is the second block I have tapped, I did my intake port project "dummy" block in order to mount it to a bench stand that it sits on in the pictures of that project.

To mount the adapter I did use the shop mill and cut 14mm slots for aligning the adapter on the engine stand mounting plate but this was pretty much overkill. A couple of 3/8 bolt clearance holes could be drilled where you need them for the stand you have and that is stronger than you need to support the motor. Anyway I cut an horizontal slot across the top of the 3" angle and another slot vertically below that.

;)
Coil
Here are several views; http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u28/coilPBcoyle/Engine%20Stand/

YellowJacket!

Not bad  ;D  I used a Stanlye workmate and a couple 2x4's.  I like your idea a lot better!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Coil Coyle

Dave,
         I've done the workbench route too.  ;D
With two engines to do this winter I decided an upgrade was required.
;)
Coil

supervision

Good thinking, it will be nice to hold steady while you split the case. 
" border="0

Rick G

I use the old standby , a  bottomless box , built of 2 x 6 lumber . Its about 12  X 16 inches , it keeps the engine from flopping around on the bench. Its an old idea , probably goes back to the first motorcycle mechanics.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

[jh]

hey Rick G! do you have some pics of what this standby might look like?
wow!

Rick G

I'll take some and try to post them .  It can be made of 2 x6 or 2x 8 lumber, and will take 10 min to build.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike