Herne the Hunter, an update

Started by zore, November 20, 2008, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zore

So the 675 was totaled.  They offered me 6700 + 600 for my gear.  I took 2k of that and bought the bike back.  I spent 1100 on bodywork.  I'll need to buy 1 lever = 70 bucks.  Bits for the gilles tooling rearsets 58, and a bar end = 45.  After that it's a cover gasket and a throttle grip, a new carbon tank guard to cover the dent and the bike will look as it did before.  Not to bad I think considering.

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Sounds like you're coming out of it pretty good.  After buying the bike back, getting the replacement parts & new gear, you ought to have at least $2500 left.  Enough for another project!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Sweet!  I've been doing some shopping for a camera to take astro-photos with.  That one's a bit above my price range, though.  Still trying to decide between a DSLR or a dedicated astro CCD (for much less $$).

A camera like that should be tons of fun!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

zore

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 20, 2008, 05:47:06 PM
Sweet!  I've been doing some shopping for a camera to take astro-photos with.  That one's a bit above my price range, though.  Still trying to decide between a DSLR or a dedicated astro CCD (for much less $$).

H2O

I've had a few dslrs but they've all been used.  I have made enough money doing odd jobs that it's paid for my gear more or less.  I've always wanted a full frame camera and this one should be the shizzle.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

zore

1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Brian Moffet

Oh no.  I'm not that good.  He got the camera you're purchasing (Canon 5D Mark II) before it was released and made that short movie with it during a weekend.  That camera is going to revolutionize photography and video in his opinion (I got to attend a talk by him at work).  I happen to agree completely with him.

That's why I'm so jealous.  I don't have the money to spend on it (though I wish you didn't have to go through an accident to get the money).  I'd have to sell off one of my lenses which is meant for the smaller CCD, but the other lenses I have would work great with it.  (a 100-400mm IS L-series zoom in particular.)

zore

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I did buy the kit because I wanted to see if the 24-105 L was any better than my tamron 28-75.  The only lens I really need to unload is the tokina 12-24 which is crop only.  Got a link to your stuff?

http://www.josephvolltrauer.com
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Riche

Zore

Very nice. Thank you for the link.

Riche

Brian Moffet

http://www.moffetimages.com
and that has a link to a variety of photos, including the rebuild photos of my bike at http://www.pbase.com/moffetb

Brian

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 20, 2008, 05:47:06 PM

H2O

Hey H2O just real quick curious like. Am i having vision problems, or does part of the milky way kinda have a... cloudy section to it. Kinda like someones dragged their finger through it?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Brief thread hijack -

Your vision is just fine.  Under dark sky conditions, you can see the interstellar dust trails in this arm of the Milky Way.  Here in Ft. Collins, the Milky Way is just a slightly brighter stripe across the sky.

The interstellar dust is visible in photos of other galaxies and many nebulae.  Some great photos can be found here:

http://hubblesite.org/

Here's the photo that is considered the signature shot from the Hubble Space Telescope:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/nebula_collection/pr1995044a/

Hijack over - back to the regularly schedulerd thread.   ;D

H2O