Starter clutch bolts and balancer nut

Started by DS, November 24, 2008, 03:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS

So, I've gone through several threads about engine knocking and it sounds like I need to break open the left side crankcase cover and get three new starter clutch bolts and possibly tighten the balancer nut. My Vision has developed an annoying knocking that goes away(or seems to go away)at about 2500 rpms. I can't tell exactly where the sound is coming from, but it seems like the sound gets worse the slower the bike idles(1300 rpms is worse than 2000 rpms). The sound really isn't very loud, just annoying, and just wearing my helmet really seems to stifle the noise. The bike runs absolutely great otherwise. 8)

Are there more signs/clues that could help me diagnose the problem? Could the noise be related to something else that I am overlooking? Does the knocking indicate the need for a necessary fix, or can I leave it alone as long as I can deal with the noise? ???

russellsea

I let mine knock for a long time, then after a while my starter started to spin freely every so often.  It got to the point were the starter cluth was not even kicken in, so I had to finally pull my spare one off the parts bike and throw it in.

Tiger

:) I would not leave this problem to long my friend :o You can remove the inspection cover (from the left side cover) and with the use of a flash light, see if the three screw that hold the starter clutch are indeed working loose. However, I would advise that you remove the left side cover, remove the flywheel and replace the three Soc' head cap screws with new ones...using RED loctite.

Behind the flywheel is a gear and behind that is a 46mm (thin) nut. In most cases this nut has not had the lock tabs peened over and it will work its way loose...only a fraction but the noise resonates through the motor and is annoying also!!

I have changed two this year where the owners left it for to long and in both cases the starter clutches were both fractured and required replacing!!! The Soc' head cap screws had there heads shaved down to half there original height!!!

Whenever I bring in a Vision for rebuild and sell, I do this "fix" as a matter of course...That is eight, so far!! plus a couple of brother riders Vision's...

You will require a new left side engine cover gasket, a puller for the flywheel, RED thread locker, Three new M8 x 12mm Soc' head cap screws, oil and an oil filter. Make a cardboard cutout/drawing of the engine cover, punch holes in the cardboard were the bolts go and put the bolts in the appropriate hole as you remove them...that way they go back in the right hole during rebuild ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

don't forget to peen the crap out of the new / longer / grade 12.9 starter clutch bolts you want to use.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

DS

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. Is there anything else I should look for or repair while I have the left side open? I just put a Tim Parrot rebuilt stator in at the beginning of October, so that shouldn't be an issue. If the balancer nut is loose does it only need tightening, or do I need to apply thread locker? Thanks again for your replies.

Night Vision

both the thin crank nut and the balancer nut have the bend over tab lock washers...

the balancer nut is easy to tighten..the crank nut... not so easy

unless you have a 46mm socket, it's tough to get it tight. even with an open end or box end wrench, it's tough because it's hard to get a good angle on it. a 46mm crows foot would work, but that's a $30-$70 Porsche tool

Ace hardware has a $10 pipe wrench / crescent type wrench that kinda works.... I ended up using a good chisel / punch on the edge of the flats to get it as tight as I could.

red tite on both doesn't hurt... I also bent the "other" tab (the other one that doesn't land on the flat) against the corner of the nut 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I've never found a suitable socket , I could afford , so I resort to a chisel and a long drift pin ( I'm blushing here) Almost every vision I've had open has chisel marks on the nut.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

DS

I used a mechanics stethoscope to locate the engine knocking, and the noise seems like it is coming from the lower end of the engine, close to the starter. So I guess I'll be doing some tightening as soon as I find some spare time. Thank you all for your help. ;)