Recently aquired Vision

Started by Jay, January 04, 2009, 01:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

Hey all, I'm new here, and just picked up my first Vision. It's in good shape, relatively, and I'm working on fixing the quirks. The instrument cluster is bad, I just ordered a new one off ebay yesterday. The stator is bad, I'm still working on finding one of those. My gas tank is dented and the paint is a bit ugly, so if I can't find a cheap one, I'll have a friend repair it.

Overall the bike runs great. Plenty of power, nice and comfortable, getting back on a bike after 7 years, it was a nice one to do it on. Here's a couple pictures:

I'm in the process of getting it cleaned up, it'll look much better by spring time riding comes around.
1982 Yamaha Vision - Restore in progress
1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750 - Salvage Restore
1994 Subaru SVX - Restore in progress
2004 Ford Excursion - Daily driver

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Jay on January 04, 2009, 01:24:21 PM
The instrument cluster is bad, I just ordered a new one off ebay yesterday.

Wow, those gauges look great.  You don't often see them not faded.  If the tach and speedo work and you can figure out how to keep them, I would do that.

It looks in good shape.

Welcome,

Brian

Jay

Haha, funny you should mention that. It's dark, they're faded to hell, it just doesn't show for some reason. And the speedo and tach are shot, I have a new one on the way already, and looking at a second, as I found two very cheap, and will likely get both and use the better one. It needs a fair amount of work, but I'm getting it together.

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to the ROV family... 8) We are ALL here to help you, so do not be afraid to ask for help/advise, etc... ;)

I notice that your missing: The front fender, left side upper battery cover and the right side cover...or do you have these off for some reason?? The right side muffler looks like it got an aluminum foil wrap :-\
However, all in all certainly not in bad condition at all. I know we have seen a lot worse that have been resurrected and are being ridden by happy members... 8)

What exactly is wrong with your gauge cluster... ???

Regarding your stator, you can try Tim Parrot, who does rebuilt stators at a decent price...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-84-yamaha-xz550-vision-stator-rebuilt_W0QQitemZ180304103734QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item180304103734&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

...However, he is a wee bit slow with his communications ::) :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Once again, welcome... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

If the 12k mile speedo is accurate the starter clutch repair probalbly hasn't been done.  Consider doing the starter clutch repair when you replace the stator and save about 50% of the clutch repair labor.  Otherwise, you'll be back in there in about 10k miles.

You say that the bike runs well.  Good for you!  If it doesn't have an in line fuel filter installed now, install one before you touch the starter button again.  Otherwise, you'll probably get to clean you carbs within the next two hours of operation.

Jay

Thanks. I recieved the bike with the front fender off. The left cover is off to charge the battery, since the stator is bad. The right cover is missing. I have since replaced hte front fender. I am looking for a right cover, but am not sure if I'm going to keep it red to change the color. Also, I am trying to wait just a wee bit before spending much more just yet, I've spent a small fortune in the past week alone.

Tiger

Quote from: Jay on January 04, 2009, 06:54:51 PM
The right cover is missing.  I am looking for a right cover

:) I have one if you need it...its Red but not the greatest paint job...$5.00 plus shipping... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Jay

I very well make take you up on that one. I need to figure out where I stand as far as % complete. I've ordered over a dozen things already, almost losing track of some, so I want to wait until things come in and I get everything installed and see how she looks.

67GTO

Nice vett, about the same age as the Vision?
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Aelwulf

Quote from: QBS on January 04, 2009, 06:36:32 PM
If it doesn't have an in line fuel filter installed now, install one before you touch the starter button again.  Otherwise, you'll probably get to clean you carbs within the next two hours of operation.

I was going to mention this one too, doesn't look like there's one in it from the side pic that I could see. :)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

Jay

Vette is a 75 stingray convertible :D I don't have an inline fuel filter yet, no. I was going to ask about that too, I want to clean up my carbs, but that would be pointless as they'd just get clogged again. I think the float isn't shutting off the float valve, which is also causing issues with fuel draining out the overflow. What's the best way to get at these carbs? I'm told I can probably fix that without to much of a hassle.

Jay

The stator is under the cover right in front of the gear shifter right? Is there a gasket for that I'll need to replace if I remove it?

Are there gaskets in general for the lower portion of the engine if I remove the covers? Anyone know of a good cleaner that will take some of the grime and oxidation off the surface?

How do you jack this bike up? The exhaust is the lowest part of the bike.

Rick G

Order a stator cover gasket from your local Yamaha stealer  and a shift shaft seal as well , you might as well change it while you have the cover off!   
As to the "sun burned " clear coat and oxidation on the cover, a quick way it to apply a paint stripper with a brush , until you get it all off, then polish it with a synthetic sheeps wool pad on a drill  and Mothers aluminum polish. Its less expensive than buying a biffing wheel and motor  and you can do it with the engine assembled.

Put the bike on the centre stand si all i can tell you. I have a couple of bike hoists , but you need to be serious to invest in those. I built a teter board stand some years ago , that worked well and you could build it out of scrap and salvaged materials.
I forgot to mention that you can use a nylon pot scrubber to remove the clear coat loosened by the stripper.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

when you get to the carbs... .you might want to take your manifold boots off and peel off the RTV..

"liquid tape" is what we use.... it's black... it'll not look "repaired"

CHANGE YOUR BRAKE ROD HARDWARE...

new vaccum / fuel lines are cheap

so are plugs and wires
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano