Unknown hole that is leaking coolant

Started by arthurdent510, January 24, 2009, 08:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

There's a hole in the forward right side case by the water pump that is leaking on me, and at a good rate.  I haven't been able to figure out what it goes to, and why it isn't plugged.  I know the picture isn't too great, but any thoughts as to what's going on?  Thanks!

http://www.public.asu.edu/~dmhurt/vision/img020.jpg

Kenny

Hi,
    This a hole is a drain for the Water Pump seal/Oil seal for the water pump.If you have a water leaking from here you will need to replace the water pump seal Assy. Likely the porcelain ring or rubber seal is damaged.
        these show up on E bay on occasion.
                        Have fun Ken S. ;) 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

arthurdent510

Ok, just so I'm looking at the right seal, if you take off the front half of the water pump, that's the first seal you see?  Was in there earlier today and it is pretty shot....

Night Vision

#4 11H-12438-00-00 SEAL, MECHANICAL   $25

and / or

#7  93101-10090-00 OIL SEAL   $4-$5

mine dribbles some and will need to be done at some point
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

arthurdent510

doh....  thanks for pointing the part for me... 

Night Vision

the hole is located between the mechanical seal and the oil seal so if the mechanical seal leaks.... it "vents" before it breaches the oil seal...
;D

Coil Coyle

The dealers can get them, get the bearing and oil seal at the same time.
Use the YAMAHA seals for the crankshaft oil supply and the water pump. No grease on the water pump seal, detergent and water clean if you touch it and get it greasy.

I didn't use the YAMAHA seal on my RodKnocker and it now has knocking rods.
:o
Listen to Walt_M on crank seals, he is correct.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Rick G

Art called me yesterday and drove up today, from Phoenix to pick up a clutch cover / pump assembly , He's hot to start his Vision , he didn't want to wait for me to send it!! :D :D :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

xswheels

Is the gasket on the water pump housing (#9) made of rubber and is it generally re usable?

Night Vision

yes, people remove the waterpump to change the orings in the water tubes and re-use the gasket
;D

inanecathode

So hey NV, in recap, if one needed to replace his o-rings, you pull the YICS stamped cover and just replace the o-rings and replace the cover right? One wouldn't bork his or her water pump seals doing this?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Night Vision

I have not done it that way..... but my brother did.

I believe the SOP is IF you remove the right side case, you should replace the mechanical and oil seal.... correct me if this is incorrect
;D

Rick G

There's no reason to remove the right (primary ) case to change the coolant tube O rings. Its easier to just remove the pump outer housing.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

I did not imply that you should remove the right case to replace the water tube orings...

Inane wanted to know if removing the waterpump housing would mess up the seals.... I said if you removed the right case, you should replace the seals.... 
;D

Rick G

Excuse me , :D :D I just re read it and have no idea how I got that impression !  Chalk it up to a senior moment. ;)  :D :D :D
Rick G