News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

43000+ miles until it fell

Started by Brian Moffet, December 19, 2008, 05:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

A tip to all FWIW: I always carry a spare clutch lever in my '83s' tool compartment.  The lever is one that got broken to a short length during a Zero speed drop many years ago.  However, it's still long enough to to be fully functional.  Should the sad day ever come when the installed clutch lever is somehow broken off to an inoperable length,  I'll have my spare to get me home.

You can get by without being able to operate your front brake.  You can't get by without being able to operate your clutch.

Another tip:  A Vise Grip tool might be able to serve as a temporary clutch or brake lever if enough of a stub is left to grab onto.

h2olawyer

It was a stopped tip over that broke my clutch lever a couple seasons ago.  Broke clear down at the hinge.  No stub at all.   ::)  I was at a fuel stop a couple blocks from home.  Managed to ride it home - but had to come to a stop once @ a stoplight.  Just hit the kill switch as I came to a stop.  Shifted to neutral, waited for traffic to clear and walked it around the corner.  Put it in second gear and gave it a push start.  From there, I needed to perform only one rolling stop before I made it home.  Glad I wasn't clear across town!

Ever since that time, I've carried a spare clutch lever, too.  Its great advice.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I get my levers from a guy on flea bay, he,s in Victorville Ca. I've bought from him for 5 or 6 years and they have always fit. He usually has  polished aluminum of black levers . His name is Jody Moruzzi . I forget  what his flea bay name is . I'll find it and post it here.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

I am waiting on the levers, I'll toss the old clutch lever into the tool area...  I already have the oil-filter cover (and new filter), new front turn signals that I will put on my old stalks. I'll have to buy new bulbs, but those are easy to get. 

Anyone use JB Weld on exhaust?  I'm thinking that would work well to smooth out the scrape on the exhaust...  It claims to be good to 600 F.

Brian

h2olawyer

Haven't tried JB on exhaust, but in that vein, you might take a look at their stick type product.  I made a new float post out of the stuff & it is quite sturdy.  Not sure if it is rated as high temp, but it is worth a check.  the JB Stick is just like those two part putty epoxies - except it is JB metal.  Cut off what you need, knead it until uniform color and put it in place.  It can be machined, drilled, sanded, etc.  The hole I drilled in mine came out great.

I found JB Stick at either Autozone or Checker (Kragen).

Figured I'd give you more to consider.  Wonder if Lab Metal would work?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

joevacc

Quote from: Brian Moffet on January 02, 2009, 08:39:34 PM
Anyone use JB Weld on exhaust?  I'm thinking that would work well to smooth out the scrape on the exhaust...  It claims to be good to 600 F.

Brian

I have on the cross over plenum.  Did not do a fancy job.  It only lasted about 600 miles.  I think I am going to try it a gain only do an obsessive compulsive prep job.

I do feel that those sort of fixes are only temporary... but if temporary lasts a couple of years so be it.  ::)
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Brian Moffet

The plenum would certainly be hotter.  Mine is at the very end of the exhaust, and is pretty much cosmetic only.  But, since my exhaust is 1983 stock, I don't want to go hunting down another one  :o

Who's heli-coiled the bolts for the oil-filter cover?  It's a 6 mm bolt, and doesn't look too difficult.

Thanks,
Brian

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Brian Moffet on January 03, 2009, 02:17:44 PM
The plenum would certainly be hotter.  Mine is at the very end of the exhaust, and is pretty much cosmetic only.  But, since my exhaust is 1983 stock, I don't want to go hunting down another one  :o

Who's heli-coiled the bolts for the oil-filter cover?  It's a 6 mm bolt, and doesn't look too difficult.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian,

The Heli-coil will work fine, just keep it straight as you can; use one of the good holes in the old filter as a tap guide. Just bolt in on with the other good hole and it will give you a reasonable alignment.

Personally; I would just run an 8mm tap in the stripped hole and drill the hole in the new cover for clearance. But, I'm not keeping an original 83 pristine and I have a questionable sense of aesthetics  ;D

The pipe scars; those are beauty marks, badges of courage, similar to, in an earlier time, having fencing scars on your face. But... see above regarding my sensibilities.

$0.02
;)
Coil

QBS

J-B Weld will definately handle the heat.  I've been using it for many years to extend the life of my factory '83 exhaust system.  You might be able to shape your patch to match the exhaust tips' curvature and then use hi temp gloss black paint to hide the repair.

Rick G

I have a 6 mm helicoil kit , there indispensable . Aside from the oil filter they are useful on the stator cover area too. Coils description is accurate, so I won't elaborate.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Night Vision on December 30, 2008, 09:23:42 PM
if you're not allergic to non-nos parts...... these work nicely....

may have to "tap" some paint out of the crannies, but you can't beat the price... and they came cross country in like two days

These look really good, and while I haven't put them on yet, they look like they'll work very nicely.  Great shipping as well.

Brian

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XZ550-550-Vision-XZ550R-Black-Lever-Set-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem270324312932QQitemZ270324312932QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesrian

Brian Moffet

The fairing came off today.  The only bracket that bent was the one that held the right lower fairing on.  It bent back with no problems.  The fairing needs quite a bit of work either with surface scratches on the right side or where the fiberglass cracked.  A little epoxy and fiberglass tape should work fine for that.

The clutch and brake lever need cleaning up before they will work easily, the clutch lever drags a little and the brake lever needs to have the threads cleaned out and the spring hole enlarged a little bit. 

Brian

Night Vision

like I said....

"you may have to "tap" some paint out of the crannies"

I forgot about the spring well.... sorry....

"but you can't beat the price"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

You're right, you did mention it.   :)

It should be no problem, and should work fine.

Brian

Brian Moffet

The new oil filter cover has been installed, including perma-coil on a stripped hole.  While scary, it went fairly well.  There was a point where the bolt stopped sooner than I expected, but applying a little pressure got it into the hole deeply enough. That's the one part where I was not willing to even consider starting the bike until it was fixed.  (Thanks Coil)

The rest of the parts (major ones at least) are here and as soon as I pick up the parts to do the fiberglass work will go back on the bike.

I'm healing fine, I'll have a little scar on my knee, and I keep a lot of room between me and the car/stoplight during wet weather, but that's doable.. :-)

Brian

Tiger

:) Damn Brian, we are a fine pair, eh!!!

Good to know that you are on the mend...a war wound scar is always good for a grand kids story or two :o :D :D :D :D :D

We will both be back up and running sooner, rather than later my friend... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Tiger on January 25, 2009, 08:36:13 PM
a war wound scar is always good for a grand kids story or two :o :D :D :D :D :D

The only problem now is that I have 4 major scars.  One on each elbow, one on the right knee, and one over my left eye...

That's gotta be good for 3 stories at least!   ;D

Brian Moffet

So, I've been thinking about replacing the reflectors on the fairing (behind the turn signal in the photo below) with lights. Anyone look into this? I've got power to the fairing, so that electrical shouldn't be a problem.  (I'm missing the right side one now, the reflector part was scrapped off.)

Thoughts?
Brian

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tiger

Quote from: Brian Moffet on February 02, 2009, 01:54:16 PM
So, I've been thinking about replacing the reflectors on the fairing...  (I'm missing the right side one now, the reflector part was scrapped off.) Brian

:) I have one spare...send me your address Brian 8) unless you wanna go with light ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!