Speedo Cable(?)+Possible New Visionary

Started by motorcyclezen, December 30, 2008, 01:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorcyclezen

After a brief hiatus (moving, new job, etc.) of about 3 months, I finally got Emmy running after about a half hour of coaxing. Took her to work and caught one of my colleagues astride my bike. Laughing, I asked him if he could ride, and he said, "I think so." Fired her up, and after brief shifting instructions, he was off. Up and down the streets of the DC General campus where we work he rode. After he parked my bike, he said, "Man, I gotta' get me one of these!" She's a rocket--what can I say?

Anyway, on the way home that evening (make that the following morning at 1AM) I noticed that my speedo was bouncing and then whoosh--she's a no work! Do I need a speedo cable? Connections seem tight. What gives?

Thanks,

Ed--

h2olawyer

Could be either the cable or the speedo internals.  I've seen both go bad.  Take the cable off @ the front wheel.  Pull the core out.  The end @ the speedo should be square.  If the cable is broken, it should be obvious & may make it difficult to pull out of the housing.  If the cable appears good, the problem is likely in the speedo itself.  Not easy to fix - try to find a replacement either here or on eBay.  There are some other ways to test the speedo, but you will need to remove it from the bike.  No need to do that unless you determine the cable is not the issue.

NAPA has a kit to replace the inner cable, using your existing housing.  Don't have the part # handy at the moment.  I used one & it's been great.  It's universal - cut to fit.  Think it cost about $15.

Pretty sure Yamaha still sells them & I believe Motion Pro still makes a complete replacement as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) The speedo drive could use a wee bit of lube after 25 years :o...Remove the cable from the speedo head and force a wee bit of grease into the hole and reattach the speedo cable... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

A simple way to check the is to put a jack under the front of the engine  and remove  cable from  the bottom of the speedo , spin the front wheel and observe if the inner cable is turning or not. If it is its the speedo head , if not its the cable.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike