News:

Main Menu

New Vision Owner

Started by hittinlike54, May 31, 2004, 07:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hittinlike54

Hello all,  

I just wanted to introduce myself.  I just bought an '82 Vision from a family friend.  He bought it from a friend a year ago but hasn't had time to ride it.  It had a bad starter and he just got it fixed the day I bought it.  It has 8089 miles and is stock except for a small windshield, luggage rack and a fan switch.  I'm having the local dealer give it a good looking over and to put new tires on it.  Anything specific I should have them look at when I have it in the shop?

The only problem I had when I test rode it was the clutch was a little sticky, but I think that was from not being ridden in a while.

Also, how hard will it be to retrofit a dual disc front setup and maybe carbs that have the acceleration pump built in.

Thanks

Rick G

The 83 front end and brakes will fit right on you only really need the sliders, discs, calapers, hoses and mastercylinder.

The 82 carbs are just fine and do have a accelerator pump built in..When they are clean and adjusted they perform perfectly.
As far as I am concerned  the 83 carbs are more of a pain in the neck.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

hittinlike54

Thanks for the reply.   :)

GA_Wolf

Have them check out the charging system...make sure the stator is putting out enough and that the regulator is regulating....after you get it there are several modifications you may want to do... Move the rect/reg to your left rear peg mount to keep it cool, cut out the connector and solder your stator wires to your R/R, add a volt meter...
There are also several other Vison quirks and mods to think about...check some of the past threads.  Check out Lucky's site....he's got a ton of info there!

hittinlike54

So the motorcycle is still at my parent's friends house because I wasn't able to ride with all the thunderstorms (were 3 hours away).  Since it's been sitting for a while, my friend was gonna tune up the bike and get it running like a top,

Well... I talked to him last night and the starters full of oil, he's looking into a new starter, but there like $600. I sent him links to Luckys site where it tells you how to fix it, hopefully that will help.  Then all I'll need to do will be to mount and balance the new tires and I'll be set.

Jon

$600 for a new starter?
Either thats a typo or you're getting raped, pal.
A complete brush assembly should be in the $30 range. ?Sand down the armature, replace the seal, and you'll have a new starter. ?

hittinlike54

It's not a typo.  We are planning to rebuild it ourselves, we already have all the parts (nothing like a well stocked parts bin in the garage).  We just called around to see if it would be easier to buy one off the shelf.  There's no way I'm paying as much for the starter as I did for the bike.

No worries.  

The only other thing I really have to look into was the clutch seemed a little frozen.  I'd pull it in, and it would take forever to engage once I released the lever.  Then again, this bike only has 8089 miles on it and I'm pretty sure it's sat untouched for at least a couple years.  Things like this are to be expected.

Rick G

Thats probably accurate for a new starter from Yamaha, You can take it to most any automotive starter rebuilder and it will be under $100.  Starters pop up on ebay all the time for not much money. You will need to go through them also, no doubt. They all will need the seal replaced.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

nvdranger

Mine sat since '96 and got it going just this past weekend.  My clutch cable did the same thing, probably a lil worse and it was only $15 brand new.  This is my first bike and I have done everything on my own.  Deffinetly rebuild the starter yourself.  Get the Chicago Rawhide starter seal (or similar) for a few bucks, the brush assembly was around $45 through powersportspro.com (a local bike shop here in Omaha).  It will take only about an hour once you have the parts.  Just my 2cents.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Rick G

The problem amy be in your clutch cable , there teflon coated and if the teflon shreds up inside the housing  the clutch will seem stiff and unresponsive.
Rick G